• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning and conditioning

cgreen

Hi Everyone, hope you've all got big weekend plans.

I've been cautioned against asking such a question but I'm gonna do it anyway...

What's the best way to clean and condition leather, both vintage (30-50 years old +) and new? I know everyone has their own routine, me included, but is there a consensus on products and methodology? If a jacket is really dry do you change up the routine?

Bring on the debate, and thank you in advance. Looking forward to hearing how ya'll do it. Enjoy the next couple of days.

Chris

TimTerry

Hi Everyone, hope you've all got big weekend plans.

I've been cautioned against asking such a question but I'm gonna do it anyway...

What's the best way to clean and condition leather, both vintage (30-50 years old +) and new? I know everyone has their own routine, me included, but is there a consensus on products and methodology? If a jacket is really dry do you change up the routine?

Bring on the debate, and thank you in advance. Looking forward to hearing how ya'll do it. Enjoy the next couple of days.

Chris
For cleaning leather, it's important to use gentle methods and avoid harsh chemicals that can damage the material. A common practice is to use a mild soap or leather cleaner specifically formulated for this purpose. You can apply the cleaner to a soft cloth or sponge and gently wipe the leather surface, being careful not to scrub too vigorously. Afterward, make sure to wipe off any residue and allow the leather to dry naturally. Avoid using excessive water or submerging the leather, as it can lead to discoloration or warping.

Conditioning leather helps to restore moisture and keep it supple. Leather conditioners are available in various forms, such as creams, oils, or sprays. It's recommended to test the conditioner on a small, inconspicuous area of the leather first to ensure compatibility and check for any adverse reactions. Apply the conditioner using a soft cloth, gently massaging it into the leather in circular motions. Let it absorb for the recommended time specified by the product instructions, and then wipe off any excess conditioner.

cgreen

For cleaning leather, it's important to use gentle methods and avoid harsh chemicals that can damage the material. A common practice is to use a mild soap or leather cleaner specifically formulated for this purpose. You can apply the cleaner to a soft cloth or sponge and gently wipe the leather surface, being careful not to scrub too vigorously. Afterward, make sure to wipe off any residue and allow the leather to dry naturally. Avoid using excessive water or submerging the leather, as it can lead to discoloration or warping.

Conditioning leather helps to restore moisture and keep it supple. Leather conditioners are available in various forms, such as creams, oils, or sprays. It's recommended to test the conditioner on a small, inconspicuous area of the leather first to ensure compatibility and check for any adverse reactions. Apply the conditioner using a soft cloth, gently massaging it into the leather in circular motions. Let it absorb for the recommended time specified by the product instructions, and then wipe off any excess conditioner.
Thanks for that Tim - I cleaned a jacket a few weeks ago with Saphir leather shampoo and the amount of dirt that came out of the hide was pretty wild. The jacket itself almost looked like a different color when I was done. Gave it a good rubdown with Saphir leather cream and all was right with the world. Buffed off the excess two days later and it's like new. Really good stuff. Have a great weekend. CG