• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Civilian jacket on duty in the USAAF

bombs away

Hi Gents,

Like Jeff does I'm spending some time on the Footnote site, and I've just found an interesting picture of a civilian jacket worn by a member of a bomber crew.
See front row, 2nd from right.
2952248895_c9ae82b0da_b.jpg

3 A-2s, 2 B-10s, and 2 B-15s, nice collection !

Tim.

Peter Graham

Nice pic. Looks like a brand new motorcycle jacket. Notice also the A-2 in the top row that appears to have button pocket flaps.

greyhound52

Peter Graham said:
Nice pic. Looks like a brand new motorcycle jacket. Notice also the A-2 in the top row that appears to have button pocket flaps.

Peter,
Think you are right. Looks like a G-1 type pocket. Could this be an ANJ-3??? Look at the collar. Really looks like the one I had.

fishmeok

There is another pic of that civilian style jacket being worn by a crewman on page 31 of "Vintage Aircraft Nose Art".
-Wow, did you just find a pic of an issued ANJ-3??
Cheers
Mark

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fishmeok said:
-Wow, did you just find a pic of an issued ANJ-3??

To me, the collar looks too large to be an AN-J-3, or a version one A-2.

More like the civilian A-1 style, with concealed buttons, that was copied by RMNZ for their 2005 THE FEW range. Photo below taken by Bevan at the factory .... a similar jacket by Knoph, is illustrated on page 156 of full gear.

A-1-5a.jpg

Tim P

I see what you say about the collar but the pockets on that thing scream navy hybrid. Even down to the double row stitching. It is not because I want to believe in the loch ness monster ANJ-3 spotting thing but whatever it is it draws its inflence squarely from USN and AAF and not, from what I can see at least, from anywhere else.

greyhound52

Deeb,
Pockets aren't the same as the model you show nor are there buttons at the bottom of the jacket. I agree with Tim in that the pocket really looks USN to me. On John's CD there is a pic of my former ANJ-3 and it sure looks a lot like this one. Still could be a private purchase jacket as well.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
greyhound52 said:
Deeb,
Pockets aren't the same as the model you show nor are there buttons at the bottom of the jacket.

Right, it's not the same jacket, but an example of one of many civilian jackets from that period. And I think that being in the company of the other obvious ring-in supports this.

The moto jacket is similar to another in Full Gear, with a flight instructor name tag. Even Sears showed one similar in capeskin, describing it as Aviation Style.

zoomer

IIRC, the AN-J-3 was made and privately sold, just not issued as AN-J-3. That right?
Would it have been obtainable in England?

Now once more to the cycle-looking jacket on the lieutenant in front. Does anybody recognize that as a commercial motojac pattern?
I saw something vaguely similar on an earlier edition of VLJ, now lost. Robert Taylor was playing a Navy pilot in a 1940 film and had a jacket with those lapel-like collars. Strictly non-Navy issue of course, as far as anyone knows...altho 1940 was the year the M-422 came in, so who knows what prototype oddballs might have been under review over at BuAer... :roll:

A/c of course is B-17G, unit is 570th BS of the famed 390th BG (H).
570thBS(b).JPG

"Four Aces and the Joker" as reproed by Aero.

John Lever

The size and shape of the collar suggest a double breasted jacket similar to those seen in Germany around the 30's and 40's.The pockets look like they have leather buttons. Could it be a war trophy I wonder?