• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Civil Air Patrol (CAP) WW2 images

NickG

Some more C.A.P. images!
cargo_flight.jpg

WWII042.jpg

sticker.jpg

WWII001.jpg

fishmeok

This is awsome stuff- keep it coming!!!

Wish we still had these uniforms when I was in CAP-
Cheers
Mark

NickG

A tan/khaki light weight cotton zippered flight jacket, like an A-2 but with no woolen cuffs.
Note C.A.P. pilot wings!
d26ec35d646f0b1d_landing.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

NickG said:
atkins said:
NickG said:
Walt Disney design CAP unit jacket patch (Gremlin Sub hunter) from my collection!
Biv4UQBGkKGrHqEH-CMEs827kJoBLQhbOjl.jpg

Hola Nick,

Is that paint on cotton cloth ?

Atkins

Yes painted on canvas instead of leather, not unusual!
Do you know if this is one of those RKO picture patches? there were a lot of them put up for sale on a site awhile back and this one looks to be of the same quality, the details are not quite a clean as what a Disney artist would have done, just curious and not trying to put the patch in a poor light .

TankBuster

I think it is. If you go on Ebay, there is 3 or 4 more WWII CAP squadron patches on right now, and all on canvas. They do make nice items for display though.

zoomer

The LIFE photos were shot for a feature in the issue of April 27, 1942. The unit(s?) pictured were part of the 1st Task Force (Coastal Patrol), then operating on a probationary status at Atlantic City, NJ, and Rehoboth Beach, Del.

An interesting fact from the LIFE article is that many private pilots at the time were too old to serve on active duty. This makes sense as it was a pursuit for mostly the well-to-do.

A little more CAP history
Still more, specifically about the Coastal Patrol

NickG

Yes I can confirm that patch is from that RKO "Studio" batch....from E-Bay,
so a late 40's or early 50's repro...