• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome tanned Goodwear

blackrat2

I have sent John a email on the chance that it hasn't sold yet...not holding my breath though
Very nice

CBI

Yes, chrome!

By the mid 30's veg tanning became more for "higher end specialty items" like shoes, wallets, belts, etc. Jacket hides tended to be chrome by the 40's - at least in the US (yes, of course, many exceptions).

FlyingYankee

Any time I see a jacket with 27" sleeves I automatically think it was custom made for me. Since JC and I are the exact same size I know there will be another down the road

A

Anonymous

With my recent involvement in hides, and the little experience I got with dealing with tanners during the past few years, I gotta say I like this better than any of the hides used before by John (at least the ones I 've seen). I think it's very accurate, congratulations.

DJS48

I have a Dubow 798 from GW that was chrome tanned from Horween as I recall, although not certain regarding the aniline part. I bought this jacket about latter 2009. I also believe there were a few forum members that had the similar jacket. The jacket I have, with the "purple" knits is almost identical in color to the new GW 798 with graining that is similar atleast viewing the pictures from the GW site.

Cheers,
Don

derleicaman

mrchina said:
I have a Dubow 798 from GW that was chrome tanned from Horween as I recall, although not certain regarding the aniline part. I bought this jacket about latter 2009. I also believe there were a few forum members that had the similar jacket. The jacket I have, with the "purple" knits is almost identical in color to the new GW 798 with graining that is similar atleast viewing the pictures from the GW site.

Cheers,
Don
If you're talking about the Horween "Mustang" jackets that John made, I have one of those. The HH is very dark seal with reddish undertones. It is a RW 27752 contract with mid-brown knits. I understand John made about 4-5 jackets with this leather. Originally owned by Weasel Loader. You can see it in the jacket review section, along with a few pictures of it. It is very grainy and seems like the "oil pull" that Aero does. Very different character from my other HH jackets. From my understanding, Horween only does the "Chrome Exel" tanning process on HH. Probably one of the most comfortable HH jackets I own, although it does stiffen up in the cold.