• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CC Irvins

John Lever

Considering the degree of detail and authenticity claimed by major repro manufacturers I wonder why non of them has ever made a Coastal Command Irvin ?
It surely wouldn't be that difficult to make a jacket with a collar or are they just after our money after all ?

havocpaul

I think its always been down to desirability; throughout the years CC Irvins have never fetched the same prices as 'standard' Irvins and when worn the collars don't really sit right. I doubt there would be much demand for a repro CC in relation to the cost of producing one and so ELC, Aero and the like have to my knowledge never tried to make one.

Roughwear

As Paul says it is not economical to make CC Irvin repros as there would not be the demand for them. Do many people really want to wear a jacket with a yellow hood arounf the town? Anyway you can pick up a decent original for less than you would pay for a top end Irvin repro. Although the majority of originals are size 3 or 4 I have seen larger sizes come up for sale in recent months.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
As Paul says it is not economical to make CC Irvin repros as there would not be the demand for them. Do many people really want to wear a jacket with a yellow hood arounf the town? Anyway you can pick up a decent original for less than you would pay for a top end Irvin repro. Although the majority of originals are size 3 or 4 I have seen larger sizes come up for sale in recent months.
I just thought it strange that collectors buy every conceivable A-2 variant, but the same collectors shun this one.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:
I just thought it strange that collectors buy every conceivable A-2 variant, but the same collectors shun this one.

Would you buy a repro CC Irvin, John?

havocpaul

They also used to be more common back in the 1970's in the surplus stores/thrift shops, left on the shelves so to speak, probably because they were less desired in the motorcyling community where original Irvins were still being worn. I remember back in 1979 waiting at King's Cross station for a guy to come down from Doncaster as he had advertised an original Irvin in Exchange and Mart only to find it was a tiny size CC one, he had not mentioned that bright yellow hood which would have got me 'shot' on the streets of South London back then!

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
They also used to be more common back in the 1970's in the surplus stores/thrift shops, left on the shelves so to speak, probably because they were less desired in the motorcyling community where original Irvins were still being worn. I remember back in 1979 waiting at King's Cross station for a guy to come down from Doncaster as he had advertised an original Irvin in Exchange and Mart only to find it was a tiny size CC one, he had not mentioned that bright yellow hood which would have got me 'shot' on the streets of South London back then!

Nice story Paul. At the very least wearing a CC Irvin out these days with the hood up would be embarrassing these days!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:

Oh don't worry, John, if there was an A-2 variant, with a bright yellow hood .... we'd shun it. :)

John Lever

Roughwear said:
John Lever said:
Roughwear said:

Would you buy a repro CC Irvin, John?
Surely, Dizzee Rascal would wear one ?

Dr H

Surely, Dizzee Rascal would wear one ?[/quote]

Or Lady Ga Ga, given her ...er...unconventional dress sense... :lol:

jacketimp

Dr H said:

Or Lady Ga Ga, given her ...er...unconventional dress sense... :lol:[/quote]

eeeeeeeeer hug a hoodie.......

david cameron....................

prime minister- in- waiting.......

Dr H

jacketimp said:
Dr H said:

[/quote]

:roll: Puleeze...things may look bleak at the moment, but let's not resurrect Thatcher... :evil:

jacketimp

Dr H said:
jacketimp said:
Dr H said:

remember lazarus............

lazarus as in..................gospel of john

lazarus as in..................lazarus taxon

lazarus as in.................lazarus phenomenon

:roll: Puleeze...things may look bleak at the moment, but let's not resurrect Thatcher... :evil:[/quote]

the mummy returns.....

Dr H

Personally, I feel that Thatch's arrogance was such that she would have counted John as one of her official biographers... :x

"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope."

Neh, any truth in the rumour that she was the model for the Mummy, after the spitting Image puppet? ;)

Sorry, I have to grab a bucket I'm making myself ill at the memory... :mrgreen:

...my name's Ben Elton...good night...

jacketimp

Dr H said:

Personally, I feel that Thatch's arrogance was such that she would have counted John as one of her official biographers... :x

"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope."

Neh, any truth in the rumour that she was the model for the Mummy, after the spitting Image puppet? ;)

word on the street is that she's the original.......

after her the deluge........ (read your bible recently?)..of wannabes

Sorry, I have to grab a bucket I'm making myself ill at the memory... :mrgreen:

...my name's Ben Elton...good night...

enchantee de faire votre connaisance, mr elton.........

dormir vous bien...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dr H

Et vous, merci bien... :D

D'accord, maintenant j'ai ecrit suffit et je dois preparer quelque chose pour les dejeuners de mes fils.

A bientot :)