• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CATF Tyrannosaurus

JDAM

Fugly scarf...

redtigerscarf2.jpg

JDAM

Funny. Particularly when they confused themselves with the AVG and the 14th AF. Some true abominations out there...

$_57.JPG

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3SVXQLhnxk[/video]

a2jacketpatches

I actually love that ugly stuff if it's real, second post here looks to be repop patches. And those last patches in the video are my work applied to a Spanish made A-2 repop. You guys may remember last year when I gave them a positive plug here, come to find out they were using Goodwear photos. To make a long story short, this clown will no longer get anything from me as I have cut them off because of his questionable business practices. He went on to reply with

"We are all just jealous about his quality and attention to detail at such a good price" We meaning JC and myself.

http://a-2leatherflightjacket.com/index ... &id_lang=4

JDAM

The scarf is real. All jackets are repros, and abortions at that. What gets me is they're just shite with not even a second thought to historical accuracy. AVG this and CATF that, with 14AF crud layered on top. All that the wearer needs is a red nose and floppy shoes and they're good to go. Rant over.

a2jacketpatches

jbleatherpatches and myself are contemplating the thought of informational pages on our web site. Maybe a patch placement page and progression of Flying Tiger insignia from AVG to 14th AF. All the details in between are easily overlooked or confused with your average Joe. We don't claim to be historically perfect, we are just artists that are doing things as if it were back in the day. Artistic license was a major factor in theater made patches back then and we take advantage of that. I create AVG tribute patches but don't mix up with an entirely different unit like the 14th AF. I think that for the most part these guys that only dabble in our life work do give a second thought but the info just isn't readily available. I deal with guys daily who want to create tribute jackets and advise them on what's appropriate. There's a lot of misinformation out there that'll have a guy matching up 14th AF to AVG, even the modern day USAF has confused the whole thing.

The range of authenticity and quality of jackets has been discussed here many times over and continues to be endlessly. The good thing about the diversity is that all have had a part in keeping the history alive whether we want to believe it or not.

The recent post about red silk linings is a perfect example of how isolated practice was turned into a myth. And the Avirex map lining, what the? Probably because of a single example of the escape map being sewn into a jacket lining or something, then Avirex educates the world with this BS in their advertisement.

JDAM

a2jacketpatches said:
jbleatherpatches and myself are contemplating the thought of informational pages on our web site. Maybe a patch placement page and progression of Flying Tiger insignia from AVG to 14th AF.

Now that sounds like a good idea. As patch makers and suppliers you can keep it real for everyone! If you have to create AVG patches then it would be great not too see them mixed with 23rd or worse still 8th AF (yes, I've seen one).

a2jacketpatches

JDAM said:
a2jacketpatches said:
jbleatherpatches and myself are contemplating the thought of informational pages on our web site. Maybe a patch placement page and progression of Flying Tiger insignia from AVG to 14th AF.

Now that sounds like a good idea. As patch makers and suppliers you can keep it real for everyone! If you have to create AVG patches then it would be great not too see them mixed with 23rd or worse still 8th AF (yes, I've seen one).

Already doing so with every set I sell. The whole misinformation thing really doesn't irritate me much at all. Our idea would be a simple basic education for our customers. AVG is just a small part of it, we do em all. As patch makers and suppliers, our responsibility is to keep it real for our customers. As an avid collector and historian, it is my responsibility to educate anyone interested in learning. There will always be the crowd that got their ideas from the AVIREX multi-unit patch jacket and they really could care less.

Any help you could offer on the AVG - 14th Air Force insignia would be very welcome. I've got a fairly rounded knowledge of it all but your expertise would cover it from start to finish right off the top of your head. How about a few paragraphs? We'll give the credit or however you'd like to proceed. As a very knowledgeable historian, I think you'd be better at keeping it real for everyone, and we'll be the vehicle that puts it out there.