• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caps with homemade insignia for my nylon flight jackets

deand

Over the last year I have worked on some caps to compliment my nylon flight jackets. I used a combination of fabric paints and colored felt. The 509th cap began as a red leather hunting cap, now painted black and white. All were done freehand. I'll make more when I can acquire photographic materials to work from. The 25th FIS cap is an 8 panel cap, the kind to use if you really want Korean War Era accuracy for some caps:

(L)A leather fantasy cap of the 509th Bomb Wing 1949-1951 era based on various photographs I could find. The rest of the caps are USAF Korean War Era combat units.(R) 13th Bomb Squadron
GetAttachment3.jpg

GetAttachment5.jpg

GetAttachment6.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

UKD2230INP.jpg

laberge.jpg

(L)25th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (R) 90th Bomb Squadron
GetAttachment4.jpg

GetAttachment2.jpg

post-492-1234566127.jpg

463155178_1618009767_439783913_1259.jpg

bobmosleyKoreapic.jpg

dean

Clark J

Re: Homemade repros of caps to wear with my nylon flight jackets

Holly crapolla Dean that's some great work!!!!By the way I'm a 7 1/8th!

dujardin

wowwwwwwwwww
splendid work.
one artist more on the forum.
your caps are great.

i think i have the same size as Clark :lol:

byeeeeeeee marcel

atkins

Dean, can you make a garrison/overseas cap?

deand

Thank you, guys! I'm sorry I gave the impression I made the whole cap! All I have done is put artwork on existing caps. I edited the thread title to reflect this. Someday I wouldn't mind making the whole cap. I'd need the equipment and the materials. These aren't Disney A-2 patches, indeed my abilities at this point are limited to less demanding designs. Each new one is a challenge! Finding photos to work from is the greatest challenge.

dean

Atticus

Those look great! The best I could come up with to wear with my vintage nylon is a 1955 Milwaukee Braves cap, but your caps are the bomb!

AF

deand

Not that they're that good, but I'd be glad to make an insignia for any of you, free of charge. If you have a blank cap, and the insignia you have in mind, or image of such, as detailed as possible, feel free to let me know, or we could make arrangements about getting a blank cap and fixing it up for you.

dean

Peter Graham

Dean,
That's a very generous offer. There are some great people on this forum. I may well take you up on it but you must at least accept some form of payment.

deand

I understand what you're saying, Peter. I'm just not professional enough to consider it as suitable for compensation, it's just a hobby, and actually, I would like to manufacture the whole shebang, 8 panel ball caps are rare, but make the best compliment, in my mind, to a Korean War Era nylon or cloth FJ. I had cooperstown make me three of them, but they were not that well done, the panels were asymmetrical, and the visors were incorrect. The ones I would reproduce would be based on ones made by Japanese sources, and for some reason, they preferred 8 panel to 6. Both styles were contemporary in baseball caps of the 20th centuru, with 6 panel being chosen as the MLB standard. I actually perfer the shape and fit of the 8 panel.

dean

Willy McCoy

Really incredible work! I have a couple old squadron caps. They date from the Korean war. They are 6 panel construction and embroidered. They're around here somewhere. Thanks for posting!!

deand

Willy McCoy said:
Really incredible work! I have a couple old squadron caps. They date from the Korean war. They are 6 panel construction and embroidered. They're around here somewhere. Thanks for posting!!

Good point! I shouldn't be dogmatic about 8 versus 6 panel caps. I simply noticed in the photographs I had that the caps had 8 panels. I need more photos to be more accurate and varied in the caps.

dean

Tim P

You are bang on the money when you say that your caps complement Nylon.

Maybe the Diamond cap co could consider a sideline of vintage looking ball caps....

Happy Hooligan

greyhound52 said:
Weasel_Loader said:
Remember, this company can do custom work. I own a version of the 1947 L.A. Angels cap. Love it and looks great with my jackets. I plan to get the U.S. Army Air Forces cap.

http://www.ballcap.com/

Looks like they are out of business. Another victim of the economy.

I'm glad I just got my 47's Pirate Cap a couple of months ago! I was just on their site yesterday...