• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap Blog

dmar836

So I started a cap blog a while back and just started adding to it. I think the thread here might be a little long in the tooth but I encourage it to continue. I will continue to contribute to it.
It is hardly comprehensive but here is the blog if you wish to check it out:

http://usaafflightcaps.blogspot.com/

Dave

oose

Great Idea, Look forward to reading more.

This one was on ebay a few weeks ago civi, but looks like it was used, not sure of the date on this one?

All the best
stu

dmar836

Polaroid made some like that. I think they were just post war when GA aircraft were kicked out by the thousands, everyone was gonna be a pilot, and we would soon be flying to work every day.
It's definitely on my to do list.... And I'll test it too!
Thanks for the reminder,
Dave

Rutger

Yeah good web site.
Got to have a summer cap, but haven't yet explored the world of USA(A)F caps yet.

Now you do fly, wear an A2 and a cap, where are those in-flight pics? ;)

Mount a remote control compact camera on the wing strut, bit of wide angle to include a whirling prop, 30° bank to get some dynamic country view over the nose, and presto, nice advertisement pics.

Like the previous reply: do you make them also to sell?

dmar836

Hey, that's a good idea. I tried video once to show spins but the memory filled by the time we did them.
I wore the red cap flying Friday and a B-1 all winter long. Happy to report no problems in flight!
My favorite B-1 cap, I left in a restaurant in Kentucky last year.
I'm still a bit busy to commit to taking orders per se but I'll put some on the blog here and there.
I do have a B-1 that has a few loose stitches that I'd rather not start over on. Will likely post that.

Dave

dmar836

I'm really not sure. I have never purchased a repro cap. I figure using originals as patterns will reduce compounding errors.
Of the original AAF A-3 caps I have seen and own I have yet to see black twill tape inside. I have seen that on USN caps but not AAF.
There is a large assortment of fantasy caps out there. The A-1 visor cap, the various wool squadron caps, the twill-sweatband B-1, etc. may have been found but are certainly not substantiated IMO as mass produced or official catalog items. For me, this makes it fun!
JMO,
Dave