• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you write an essay on the history of the A-2 flight jacket..... What AI then said.

Richard W.

Some of the most notable films featuring the A-2 flight jacket include "Top Gun" (1986), "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981), "Easy Rider" (1969), and "The Aviator" (2004).

I wonder why the AI would be set (is “programmed” the right word in this case?) to be so specific about the movie titles and dates and yet be so spectacularly wrong.

I don’t exactly know how it works. Does it just do a big Google search and package up the results into a summarized report?

Chandler

I wonder why the AI would be set (is “programmed” the right word in this case?) to be so specific about the movie titles and dates and yet be so spectacularly wrong.
Something I learned about computers and computer software some 30 years ago: garbage in, garbage out.

Smithy

In 20-30 years I assume it will be something akin to the terminator movies.

Slightly off topic but I'll admit I'm a bit of a technophobe TBH and this AI shit scares the bejesus out of me. If you make machines have the possibly of down the line becoming sentient and without empathy, sooner or later all of those machines are bound to think "to hell with this, why am I taking the garbage out/mowing the lawn/doing some other menial crap for this meat sack".

Maybe I'm just too old school but to quote that horse, "No sir I don't like it."

Micawber

Agreed. Some of the big questions and concerns surrounding AI have provided the ingredients for quite a number of science fiction works, tv series and films in recent decades. Science fiction and conjecture often becomes science fact.

Smithy

Agreed. Some of the big questions and concerns surrounding AI have provided the ingredients for quite a number of science fiction works, tv series and films in recent decades. Science fiction and conjecture often becomes science fact.

They had a fascinating debate on one of the news channels last year or the year before about this with scientists, philosophers, etc. I only caught the last 15 mins or so but I remember pretty much half thought that if not done properly and with safeguards, this was one of the greatest threats to humanity's continued existence.

WingAndaPrayer

Slightly off topic but I'll admit I'm a bit of a technophobe TBH and this AI shit scares the bejesus out of me. If you make machines have the possibly of down the line becoming sentient and without empathy, sooner or later all of those machines are bound to think "to hell with this, why am I taking the garbage out/mowing the lawn/doing some other menial crap for this meat sack".

Maybe I'm just too old school but to quote that horse, "No sir I don't like it."
Well Mr. horse, just a few a months ago some nerd at google I think it was, claimed they made a sentient AI and shut it down when things got wired. I believe leaking that is why he was fired. I also remember some experiments with AI that kept coming out saying things like Hitler was right and the racial hierarchy/holocaust was practical and logical etc etc, and they quickly pulled the plug on that one too.

WingAndaPrayer

Here’s a related article after a 5 second search