• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can the average joe tell the difference?

1911A1US

Most of the folks here are seasoned collectors,I have got a lot of good info from all.Thanks for that.But in general the average person can not tell an A2 repo from the real article,I do own a Foster 55j14, most of the guy`s at work know its an original,they are ex navy& marines.But the A2 I own is a horse of a different color,it is an early W&G goatskin,very well broken in and 9 out of ten times it is thought to be an older jacket.Seems the so called G1 is more recognized than the A2.???

bob capa

In my experience its worked the other way,while wearing a real B3 people have asked me about my "Top Gun" jacket

similair comments when wearing an A2,nice "Indiana Jones jacket"

People are dicks

CBI

99.9% of people can't tell the difference but WE can and that's all that matters! :D

Hamsterbear

I've recieved more compliments wearing an old 1980's Avirex 1978-01, than my high-end repros.
Most people have no clue what a quality jacket is, and they think you're nuts to spend over $150-200 for a leather jacket.
You can see this for yourself when someone asks about your A-2, and where to get one, but then they recoil in shock when you tell them a "used" Eastman,Aero,or Goodwear will set them back $350-$600.
-Brian

Falcon_52

Two days ago I was walking out the door at work wearing my M-444 and a colleague started humming the "Top Gun Theme". :eek: Well, at least he got the Navy jacket part right.

So, basically average people can't tell any difference. They just don't pay enough attention to fussy details like us. That's my conclusion.

Noel

Burnsie

I got the Top Gun comment from a co-worker on Tuesday ("nice Top Gun jacket!") while I was wearing a 1756 A-2 repro. No the average joe can't tell the difference and doesn't really care!

MikeyB-17

Goes right over the head of the average man in the street. Means not a jot to them. You either get it or you don't. Same goes for watches-to my great delight my brother-in-law started a conversation with me at a family 'do' a few days ago about watches (he's thinking of buying an Omega and saw my Speedmaster). It's very rare I get to talk about this stuff, (even more so about jackets!) and we were deep in conversation for quite a while. The barman eventually came back and said 'you two aren't still talking about watches?'. Illustrated my point perfectly-it either means something to you or it doesn't.

Peter Graham

I've told this story several times already on the forum but I guess this post warrants it again. A few years ago I was browsing the racks in my local used clothing store proudly sporting my newly aquired AN-J-3a. The young guy behind the counter glanced up, noticed my jacket and said " if it's 70's retro you want, it's upstairs". I told him, not in an indignant asshole way, that the jacket was actually 60 years old. He looked at me, completely unimpressed and went back to his newspaper. No, the average joe hasn't a clue.

bazelot

Yup, he does not give a damn. They mostly wonder why you can't afford to buy a new jacket instead of wearing one with mismatched leather and frayed knits :)

RudyN

I know one thing, until I joined this forum and was able to learn from the people here I did not know what a good leather jacket was versus a mall type jacket. Glad to be able to dip into the knowledge in this group.

wop54

RudyN said:
I know one thing, until I joined this forum and was able to learn from the people here I did not know what a good leather jacket was versus a mall type jacket. Glad to be able to dip into the knowledge in this group.
Ditto!!! :)

Tim P

In truth, outside the environs of this and similar forums, the average joe is right. It matters nothing.
There are so many things that I am completely ignorant of and would be as non-commital about those things as the average joe is about flight jackets.
Each to their own.