• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone ID this patch? [large photo!]

unclegrumpy

jack aranda said:
'blood-sucking carrots from Venus'!

Miles, thanks for posting the better bigger pictures....they are excellent!

The patch on Tobey's A-2 is the 550th Bomb Squadron from the 385th Bomb Group...and I think looks original and as it should be.

The patches from the 385th Bomb Group were printed on a thin canvas material. I have seen mint unused ones left in big untrimmed squares. Used ones were trimmed and put on the jackets....sometimes cut close to the edge like on Tobey's jacket or left with wider margins like on Tim's.

As a side note, these patches are were printed in bright sci fi colors, and look somewhat crude close up. They look pretty neat from a distance, and I think an amazingly perfect choice for a Squadron patch for a man destined to have it out with aliens and....big carrots!

unclegrumpy

deand said:
Snaps on top of the collar? Sides and back of Ken Tobey"s A-2. Interesting.
dean
I noticed that too....there are three of them...left, center and right.....I bet that jacket had a fur collar on it in it's previous big screen appearance....."Alien G-1's from Mars" :eek:

deand

unclegrumpy said:
deand said:
Snaps on top of the collar? Sides and back of Ken Tobey"s A-2. Interesting.
dean
I noticed that too....there are three of them...left, center and right.....I bet that jacket had a fur collar on it in it's previous big screen appearance....."Alien G-1's from Mars" :eek:

That must be why. Noticed that the sleeve knit didn't appear correct for an A-2, either. Civvie model hybrid?

dean

EMBLEMHUNTER

The patch as already ID'd is the 550th Bombardment Sqd , I made a leather patch some years ago for a veteran of this sqd and it is a "radical" one to say the least , very cool photo of it on the jacket in the movie still !!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

dujardin

i'm too late on this but i have this photo in my file

385bg550bs.jpg

byeeeeee
marcel

asiamiles

deand said:
Noticed that the sleeve knit didn't appear correct for an A-2, either.
Probably just recuffed. Does anyone know what spec A-2 Tobey is wearing? The collar looks like a Dubow to me. And I wonder if the addition of the snaps for a fur collar was done for a film or when the jacket was doing military duty? The co-pilot's A-2 though is a civi version with a 2 piece back.

unclegrumpy

chitchat said:
Looks like my ex wife.

I have encountered this look before myself. Been told by reliable sources, that is an official regulation look....one there are specifications for, but what they exactly are, the manual they are contained in, and its ever changing location, are all strictly top secret. Being subjected to this and identifying it, can mean certain punishment or even death.

Glad to know you are a survivor and back with the living! :shock: