• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone ID this patch? [large photo!]

asiamiles

I finally found a good photo of the patch on Ken Tobey's jacket in THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD...can anyone ID it?

Here's the pic - added by Bill French

JacketPatch.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
It doesn't display for me either, Miles, but it works okay as a link .... maybe it's too big for the forum. :cool:

unclegrumpy

images

images

images

Am sorry these photos are so small.

I think the patch is the 550th Bomb Squadron from the 385th Bomb Group. These are usually printed on thin canvas...just like this one seems to be. However, the pictures are so small it is hard to really tell. I also would not be surprised if it was a 550th Bomb Squadron patch with a little movie prop house magic added to it.

Here is a photo of the patch I am thinking of...which is in Tim's collection (VLJ "bombs away")....taken from his excellent USAAF site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44740824@N05/4191867675/

asiamiles

unclegrumpy said:
Am sorry these photos are so small.
Just click on the link that deeb7 supplied - it's the best photo I've seen of this jacket/patch.

I think the patch is the 550th Bomb Squadron from the 385th Bomb Group. These are usually printed on thin canvas...just like this one seems to be. However, the pictures are so small it is hard to really tell. I also would not be surprised if it was a 550th Bomb Squadron patch with a little movie prop house magic added to it.

Here is a photo of the patch I am thinking of...which is in Tim's collection (VLJ "bombs away")....taken from his excellent USAAF site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44740824@N05/4191867675/
Yes, it's the same basic design. Thanks for that!

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
It doesn't display for me either, Miles, but it works okay as a link .... maybe it's too big for the forum. :cool:
Maybe, though I can see it okay. I guess I could try cropping and re-uploading it, but as the link works there seems no need.

Vcruiser

It doesn't showup for me on the image...or link(says movie not found)....but it does on the Flicker acct.
Van

asiamiles

I've reduced and reupped the photo; loses a bit of impact and detail but at least you can see it....I hope!
ttfaw.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
That one's great, Miles ... and now that you've gone to the trouble your original post is also working for me. :?

Vcruiser

deeb7 said:
That one's great, Miles ... and now that you've gone to the trouble your original post is also working for me. :?

....but not me! just a little red X in a box.

Marv

What's the movie that the stills have been taken from.....also on a side note, the actor (don't know his name) is the same chap who played the gatehouse MP which Gen Savage chews out as he enters the Station without having to show his ID card in 12'Oclock High.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Marv said:
What's the movie that the stills have been taken from.....also on a side note, the actor (don't know his name)

See the OP ...

I finally found a good photo of the patch on Ken Tobey's jacket in THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD...can anyone ID it?

asiamiles

Vcruiser said:
This is what shows for me on this link.....

Movie Not Found
Browse actors/directors here.

You may also be reading this after you've followed a direct link to an image from outside. Please try linking to a post, not to a specific image. All movie pages are listed here.
Interesting. Wonder if it's down to the browser as to whether the link works or not? Anyway, here's a link to the film, where there's some other nice stills from the film that may interest members here.

http://www.wrongsideoftheart.com/2011/0 ... -1951-usa/

Marv

doh....got it, great film much better than the John Carpenter remake in my opinion.

jack aranda

I'm with you, Marv. This is high on my list of films in the category of, "If you were stranded on an island with only ten movies, what would they be?" This one would be in the top five. By the way, Miles, that unit patch is just the thing if you're going out into the frozen tundra to fight 'blood-sucking carrots from Venus'!