• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone help me identify this Aero Leather (NY) item?

GrassHurts

Hi, apologies for the intrusion, I’ve acquired this item, I appreciate its not leather, but it appears to be made by the Aero Leather Clothing Company, in New York. I guess it’s a liner, but I wonder what for? Is it of value? I’ll be grateful for any help you can give. Perhaps it’s just junk.

D412C300-6312-4C3B-BF56-0EA294620766.jpeg

7A8BA237-3A1A-4990-ABD6-9F98674FECA6.jpeg

7AE1709F-7044-46C7-B21B-2C559D11C7A9.jpeg

mulceber

Nice D-2 liner. The D-2 was worn by the ground crews who were keeping the planes in fighting shape. Since they were working through the night in all weather, a lot of their gear, including this piece, was almost as warm as the stuff the airmen were wearing. There are other people around here who could tell you more. Hopefully they'll chime in. We don't really do price evaluations here, but this is a neat piece. Not valuable in the way that an original A-2 would be, but you could certainly sell it.

Last edited:

GrassHurts

Nice D-2 liner. The D-2 was worn by the ground crews who were keeping the planes in fighting shape. Since they were working through the night in all weather, a lot of their gear, including this piece, was almost as warm as the stuff the aircrews were wearing. There are other people around here who could tell you more. Hopefully they'll chime in. We don't really do price evaluations here, but this is a neat piece. Not valuable in the way that an original A-2 would be, but you could certainly sell it.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, that’s very helpful information. I’m glad I rescued it from the charity shop donation sack!

917_k

As @mulceber says, it’s the liner for a USAAF D-2 ground crew smock. As it happens, I’ve just dug mine out of storage for the winter, so have some fresh photos of the complete thing.

You have the liner, which pops into the cotton outer. The complete smock is incredibly rare, as they were issued for a relatively short period of time (replacing the earlier leather D-1 jacket). They ended up being used a bit after the war by Air Force mountain rescue personnel. I’ve never actually seen an original wartime photo of one being worn by ground crew.

If you can find the outer shell as well then the whole thing is worth a decent amount of money. As it happens I have a spare liner as well, which I plan to use as a liner for a civilian fisherman’s rain smock (which are usually pretty cold, though waterproof).

9C65C86F-2716-4AA6-B168-8A5DF51A0775.jpeg

1B8EAAF8-838E-4251-9744-6A8F0F6CF149.jpeg

GrassHurts

As @mulceber says, it’s the liner for a USAAF D-2 ground crew smock. As it happens, I’ve just dug mine out of storage for the winter, so have some fresh photos of the complete thing.

You have the liner, which pops into the cotton outer. The complete smock is incredibly rare, as they were issued for a relatively short period of time (replacing the earlier leather D-1 jacket). They ended up being used a bit after the war by Air Force mountain rescue personnel. I’ve never actually seen an original wartime photo of one being worn by ground crew.

If you can find the outer shell as well then the whole thing is worth a decent amount of money. As it happens I have a spare liner as well, which I plan to use as a liner for a civilian fisherman’s rain smock (which are usually pretty cold, though waterproof).

View attachment 84913

View attachment 84914
Wow! I’m very jealous, that’s a great looking smock! Thank you for taking the time to reply, I will try and find the outer, if I can. The liner I have belonged to my grandmother, I’m not sure how she acquired it, or how it came to be here in the UK.

917_k

Wow! I’m very jealous, that’s a great looking smock! Thank you for taking the time to reply, I will try and find the outer, if I can. The liner I have belonged to my grandmother, I’m not sure how she acquired it, or how it came to be here in the UK.

No problem, happy to help. Funny how these things turn up in the strangest of places. The outer might be quite hard to find, I’m planning to use my spare with a rain smock from Yarmouth Oilskins. These smocks are lovely, but unlined, so not especially warm in very cold weather: