• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cagleco G-1 contract date question

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Would anyone be able to tell me what year my Cagleco G-1 dates from? I know it's 1950s, but not sure of the exact date. The contract number is N383-48082A.

Here are a couple of pics. It's my daily wearer and I love it - would just like to know what year it's from!

frontsml.jpg

labelsml.jpg

Thanks,

Jon

dadgad

I can't help for the date, maybe it's pre '50s for the pointed collar like 55J14s but indeed it looks great!

Jaydee

Very Nice!! It is definately 1950's. If it has the painted USN under the collar, it is before 1957. If it has the punched USN perforation on the windflap than it is post 1957. That may be as close as you can get on the date.

Atticus

Early fifties. I'm guessing between 1951 and 1955. Contract number has no "QM" which appeared in the later 'fifties 7823(AER) contract numbers...and it is a Cagleco and not an RE.

Just my guess.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
One of four consecutive Cagleco contracts, Full Gear lists it as FY 1957. The last of the N383S contract numbers, the next QM/CTM is also 1957.

Also at around this time, some of the Caglecos were both punched, and stencilled "USN".

Jaydee

deeb7 said:
One of four consecutive Cagleco contracts, Full Gear lists it as FY 1957. The last of the N383S contract numbers, the next QM/CTM is also 1957.

Also at around this time, some of the Caglecos were both punched, and stencilled "USN".

Ah Yes! The infamous double marked G-1s

jonnyboy

Thanks guys!

So it's from just before Cagleco became Ralph Edwards - was that in 1957, or 1958?

It doesn't have the stencil behind the collar, but does have the punched windflap. It has some of the nicest goatskin I've seen, although a little stiff. Of the numerous G-1s I've owned, it's the only one which fits me perfectly and feels like 'my jacket'. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Anyway, thanks for dating it for me.

Cheers,

Jon

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
jonnyboy said:
So it's from just before Cagleco became Ralph Edwards - was that in 1957, or 1958?

The first Ralph Edwards contract was Fiscal Year 1958, and from John Chapman's CD ...

Ralph Edwards was a child-company of Cagleco Sportswear of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and it appears that the name change happened around 1959-1960.