• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cagleco From A Time Capsule

Maverickson

I am pleased to be able to share a few photos with the members of the Forum of a fine 1954 model Cagleco G-1 flight jacket I recently stumbled upon. As it goes I have been looking for quite some time for this very same model jacket which have been issued to my late Father in November of 1955. This jacket would be a duplicate for the one that went missing out of his locker in his MAVERICKS (VA-152) Hanger #23 at NAS Alameda in 1969.

By utilizing old photographs, conversing with Father's original & surviving VA-55 squadron mates who were simultaneously issued flight jackets upon entering the squadron and helpful fellows from this Forum I was able to find the correct jacket to facilitate my finding this particular jacket. This next seen photograph is of my late Father in his original jacket.

9-2-2008-05-1.jpg

When my Father retired from the USN thirty years ago I was able to source a flight jacket which I presented to him for his retirement. This occurred way before any internet or the possibility of conceivably finding a reasonable facsimile from the original manufacturer. Problem being, even though I had most all of his important naval aviation career related patches attached to this 1976 model G-1 or what I refer to as his retirement jacket he never took to it like he did his original jacket.

ImperialFront.jpg
ImperialBack-1.jpg

This Cagleco jacket jacket that I found is marked a size 42. It is my good fortune and I believe that this is truly a mislabeled jacket because I do not normally fit into size 42 USN jackets. The dimensions of this jacket are 20" shoulders, 23.5- 24" pits, 23" sleeves and or 25.5" sleeves length over all including the cuff knits. The fit of this Cagleco jacket is very similar to my " large " sized 44 G-1 Werber except that the leather is not broken in as well. So knowing that these Caglecos are known for their smaller dimensions for their stated size I would place this particular jacket in the 44/46 size range.

I feel so fortunate to have received this jacket as with all things considered this would have been the same 1954 year model jacket issued to my late Father fifty four years ago. In addition, this jacket more than likely would have been the same size originally issued as he and I were identical in size and build. He and I are approximately the same size in every way as seen in that original photograph taken some fifty years ago.

The Photos of this Cagleco jacket speak for themselves. This jacket is as if it just came out of the box.

McDWedding016.jpg
McDWedding017.jpg

McDWedding018.jpg
McDWedding021-1.jpg

CAGZipperBox.jpg
McDWedding019.jpg

CAGBackside-1.jpg
CAGSleeves.jpg

CAGSizeLabel.jpg
CAGPencilPocket.jpg

CAGInside.jpg
CAGUSNStencil.jpg

CAGHalf.jpg

Cheers, Dave

greyhound52

Dave,
That is outstanding. I agree looks like it just came out of a box. What a score. You gonna patch it up to make it look like your Dad's jacket?

Maverickson

I wanted to hand it to you, without good folks like you among others on this Forum and that good direction I probably would have been still flailing around looking in the wrong direction for my Fathers correct serial numbered G-1. However, who could have predicted that I could have ever ended up finding this particular jacket!

To answer your question, yes, that has been my idea all along but know that this has been a long and drawn out process. As a young man I was some what let down by his loss those many years ago and always wanted to make it up to him. It is never too late.

Cheers, DAve

bazelot

Dave, congrats on the jacket. It looks fantastic. This thing was never worn. Let us know when you start patching it.
Tom

Burnsie

Stunning jacket, nice score! Looks like the jacket finally has a proper replacement 40 years later.
(Re: the mis-marked size, it must be - my Dad's Cagleco is a 42 and it fits me quite snug though I take a 42 in virtually every type of jacket)

Maverickson

Just today, through the help of my cousin I have in fact confirmed that my Father was indeed first issued a Cagleco flight jacket. My Uncle David Williams seen here on the far right hand side of this picture and standing beside my Father was issued his flight jacket upon graduating together from flight school in 1955.

394534-R1-E003_003.jpg

It had never occurred to me until recently that my Uncle was issued his G-1 jacket simultaneously to my Father just shortly after this picture was taken. So I contacted my cousin and as luck would have it he still has his Father's original jacket. This next image is the jacket my late Uncle was issued in November of 1955.

UncleDavesCagleco.jpg

This is the same 1954 model 911A Cagleco G-1.

The squadron patch seen on Dave's jacket is a VC-33 or the Night Hawks. I have included a photo of what he would have been flying back in the day which is a VC-33's AD-3Q ( Queen ) Skyraider which was passenger capable, getting ready to be launched off the deck.

VC-33Skyraider-1.jpg

Cheers, Dave

jack aranda

Wow! What a cool story, Dave. And the jacket you tracked down is amazing. Thank you for sharing this odyssey with us. That is very impressive research.

USMC_GAU-21

Dave,

Congratulations! This is indeed a great thing you are doing. I have my G-1 from the day I got it issued to me in 1987. We didn't really "patch them out" the way we wanted too, because the regs said nametag and flag and maybe a squadron patch. But I saved all of my original patches from my squadrons and I am giving my Son my G-1 for his graduation present next year. I have already procured another one for my collection to be representative sample, but my original goes to him, and hopefully to my grand kids.

I am honored to see your pictures and read your story. Your Dad would be very proud of you and the jacket. I hope you do wear it. It is just a beautiful example of a fine G-1.

Thanks so much for sharing.

r/ Gy Dan

airfrogusmc

Gunney when I was in (73-77) our G-1s were a record of where we'd been. If there were regs they weren't enforced. I had every squadron and station I was at on mine. I see you were 53s? I was CH-46s Ds and Fs before the Es (crew chief).

S/F

USMC_GAU-21

airfrogusmc,

Yeah they started coming down on us for patching up our G-1's. And, patching up our CWU-36, or CWU-45's. They decided they were "organizational clothing" and we could not put our patches on them. In "case" we had to turn them in to flight E.

Anyways, mine is all patched up now, and is going to my Son.

Yes I was a CH-53A/D/E Crewchief from '88 - 2007. Started life as a hydraulicsmen, volunteered to fly, then I changed my MOS to 6173 CC full time. Nice to have another Airwinger on the forum ;)

s/f Gunny

airfrogusmc

S/F brother. I had a couple good friends that were bubble chasers. I was in HMT 204 when it was a CH-46 training squadron at New River. Got orders to HMM 164 Okinawa and put in for a transfer to HMM 165 which was stationed at Cubi Point (Subic) and GOT IT. Maybe taken out our First Shirt and getting him stew'd, screwed and tattooed help my stock a bit. So HMM 165 would wait for the floats to come to us so we would go out to sea for a few weeks then back into port for a while then back out. We spent time on the USS Tripoli and USS Okinawa. Got Shellback on our way to Australia (Operation Kangaroo II) Wild Bill that posts here was on one of the BIG boats on that float. Came back here and finished my enlistment with HMM 263 New River. Had all the squadrons been like HMM 165 I might have stayed in. 165 got more flight hours a month than the entire group got at New River. I hated all that spit and polish and BS we had stateside. I was lucky, didn't have to earn my combat wings. Toughest duty I pulled was making sure the beer was cold in the po.

Great top see another hover lover here.

Thanks for all the years of service Gunney.

S/F