• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CACW Fighter Squadron patches

Yardstick

The Chinese American Composite Wing (CACW), became a part of the 14th Air Force in July 1943. The CACW consisted of Chinese aircraft and crews trained under Lend-Lease with a combination of Chinese and USAAF officers serving as the wing's group, squadron and flight leaders. Organized as two fighter groups of P-40s and one bomber group of B-25s, CACW units began their first combat operations in October 1943. The following are my renditions of three of the fighter squadrons that were part of the CACW.

First is the 8th FS (Provisional), 3rd FG (Prov). This is a multi-piece goatskin design using a mix of dyed and painted leathers, with inked detail. I had to base this on the original artwork. Although I do have a wartime image of an original patch, it is black & white and of low quality. However, it is such a striking design that that I decided to base my version off the superb original CACW unit patch pictured on the right. I'm really pleased with the results and it has become my current favourite.
Img_0923.jpg

Next up is the 27th FS (Provisional), 5th FG (Prov). I didn't have a good image to work from, so also used the original artwork as a reference. My version uses a mix of painted and dyed goatskin (both smooth and grainy), with painted details. It's another striking design that to my eye blends Mayan and Chinese references with a US Letterman jacket style font.
Img_0724.jpg

The final patch is from the 28th FS (Provisional, 3rd FG (Prov). This one I believe is a Disney design. The original was silkscreened on a coarse silk fabric. My version is was painted on cotton calico, which at least visually replicates the original silk quite well.
Img_e1215.jpg