• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Tanker

foster

Peter Graham said:
Foster, you've got me. I can't spot the flaw.

It's the grain line (or warp yarn orientation) on several of the panels. With woven fabric, you always want the warp to be in the vertical orientation when worn. On several of the panels in the pictured jacket, those are 90 degrees off, meaning they were cut with the fabric oriented the wrong way. It's easiest to tell with most unbalanced twill fabrics (like this twill which is 2/1 or 3/1 twill). The notable twill lines should be more vertical than horizontal. In this photo it is easiest to see; the wind flap is cut correctly and the body panel is 90 degrees off:
http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/T ... zipper.jpg

Most would never notice. I majored in textiles and am married to an avid seamstress and pattern drafter, so it's a detail I cannot help but notice. :oops: And I do quality control at work, so it's hard not to notice these things. Admittedly, it's minor and should not detract from the finished product for 99.99% of the potential buyers out there!

All that being said, it is entirely possible the same misalignment happened in some originals, but I don't know the specifics of the one John copied.