• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz/RM repro N-1 Deck Jacket query

asiamiles

Most Deck Jackets - I'm talking about repro's from Buzz and RM here - have a grey-ish coloured lining and collar, but some have a dark brown collar and some have a dark brown lining and collar. Do these variants reflect differences found on originals, and if so what is the explanation for them?

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Miles, all the original N-1's I've owned and seen photos of have brown lining and collars.
That's odd, because all the originals I've seen have had grey linings and collars!

asiamiles

Tim P said:
That looks like just about every one I have seen. The blue version of course from BR seems to have all grey.
No, as with the green version, there are some blue ones with brown linings and collars. But the grey lining and collar is the dominant one.

Tim P

I thought so.
I imagine the brown collar and grey liner to be the standard with inevitable variations.

rich

I think they must all start off as blue, and then fade into green over time................... oh sorry, wrong thread............. :lol:

Tim P

ARE YOU INSANE?
salt water has unique properties that cause blue to fade to slate grey.. not olive.

Tim P

I have seen them, on green jackets. quite a few.... more than grey, how common it was right across the board I cannot say.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
That's odd, because all the originals I've seen have had grey linings and collars!

I've only had the one original, and both the lining, and collar were dark brown. For a while there I followed them on eBay, hoping to find a better example, and my impression was that the grey ones were later.

This was just an assumption though, with no actual evidence.

Peter Graham

deeb7 said:
I've only had the one original, and both the lining, and collar were dark brown. For a while there I followed them on eBay, hoping to find a better example, and my impression was that the grey ones were later.

I'd tend to agree with that. I've only been interested in WW2 examples and they have all had brown linings and collars.

EmergencyIan

Peter Graham said:
deeb7 said:

I'd tend to agree with that. I've only been interested in WW2 examples and they have all had brown linings and collars.

I watch auctions for the originals on ebay all of the time have for the past few years) and I concur.

As well, I own the Buzz Rickson version and the Alaca lining is grey, which is a color I've not seen on original WWII era deck jackets. On the other hand, Buzz has a more recent version of the WWII era deck jacket. It's "sea-washed" (or something like that). It's alpaca lining is true to all of the original WWII era deck jackets that I have seen.

By the way, in my opinion, that Real McCoy's WWII era Deck Jacket is completely ruined by is collar. :?

- Ian

asiamiles

EmergencyIan said:
As well, I own the Buzz Rickson version and the Alaca lining is grey, which is a color I've not seen on original WWII era deck jackets. On the other hand, Buzz has a more recent version of the WWII era deck jacket. It's "sea-washed" (or something like that). It's alpaca lining is true to all of the original WWII era deck jackets that I have seen.
I tried on the "sea water wash" jacket and it felt much heavier and thicker than their regular N-1, but I don't know whether it was different or the process had just made it seem so.

By the way, in my opinion, that Real McCoy's WWII era Deck Jacket is completely ruined by is collar
Care to elaborate? I just purchased a RM N-1 and am awaiting its arrival, though it has brown lining and collar.

Anyone know about the variety of USN stencils found on N-1's? (I'm talking here about the repro's from the likes of Buzz and RM, but I'm guessing they copied either examples in their possession or photos). Was the standard one we're most familiar with found on green N-1's from their introduction or did it change over time? Were other stencils most likely used to replace lettering that had worn off, or were some issued without stencils and the lettering applied later?