• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Ricksons L-2 Shoulder Decal

Cobblers161

Is anyone able to enlighten me as to why the Buzz Rickson's L-2 (American pad & Textiles) has a USAF decal when it is a 1945 jacket?

I understand the original jacket's may have been in use after 1947 but surely for the sake of detail there should be a USAAF decal.

Any ideas?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Cobblers161 said:
Is anyone able to enlighten me as to why the Buzz Rickson's L-2 (American pad & Textiles) has a USAF decal when it is a 1945 jacket?

The Type L-2 was standardized by U.S. Army Air Force on May 21st 1945, produced in nylon fabric that DuPont developed in 1934.
Buzz Rickson.

Possibly the most rare of all the U. S. Air Force nylon flying jackets, the Type L-2 Light Flying Jacket specification dates back to 1945, with production spanning the years 1947-1949.
HPA.

Full Gear lists the American Pad & Textile Co contract as fiscal year 1950.

Tim P

agreed, I think the decal is right, the date wrong. just makes it a pre Korea jacket in everyones mind. good observation though.

Cobblers161

Thanks gents.

How about the American Pad and Textiles L-2 in 'Suit Up' , pg 228, which from what I can gather is a 1945 jacket, I assume this because the jacket description in Japanese is usually accompanied by a date? Is that an error? Not having seen Full Gear(Way too expensive or the likes of me) I can take it that it's a far greater authority on precise dates etc.. than Suit Up.

Beautiful jacket though, certainly on my 'wants list of originals that I'll never be able to afford'. It's quite a long list.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Cobblers161 said:
What about the American Pad and Textiles L-2 in 'Suit Up' which from what I can gather is a 1945 jacket, I assume this because the jacket description in Japanese is usually accompanied by a date? Is that an error?

I saw that too, Steve ... but I couldn't tell whether they were referring to the spec. date, or the date of that contract.

I did wonder whether Buzz Ricksons had used that as their reference.

Cobblers161

Yeh Dave, I'm guessing thats the case.

Ok, I've asked enough obvious questions on this forum to not really care too much anymore about looking any dumber(it's all part of the learning process, no really), but the spec. date is I take it the design date, as in the date when the jacket specifications were passed as suitable for military use prior to production?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Cobblers161 said:
the spec. date is I take it the design date, as in the date when the jacket specifications were passed as suitable for military use prior to production?

Yes, that's right ... but assuming that BR, and Suit Up, are both correct, I don't know why there was such a lag before issuing contacts.

I also noticed in Full Gear, that the first (Reed Products) contract has a different spec. number (3257-A).

The American Pad, and second Reed Products contracts, are both labelled as Specification No. MIL-J-5391.

watchmanjimg

I think we can pretty well rest assured that these jackets were not worn until some time after WW2, so I doubt there's any problem with the decal. On the other hand, I thought it odd that Buzz Rickson's decided to change the decal on the L-2A to the white outline variant as it seems less common on originals than the full color version. I guess we'll see how it looks when my new one arrives from HPA early next week. :D

oose

Hi,

I posted these in the old forum Yeager in 1947, sporting a L2 with leather name tag.

Chuck_with_Jack_Ridley.jpg

Yeagerbig.jpg

found closeup...
chuckY.jpg

yours stu

greyhound52

I have seen some photos from the Korean War with no decal on L-2s. My original doesn't seem to have had one and it is a Reed Products. Here is the spec tag

IMG_0375.jpg

oose

Hi,

looked all over the web, can't find a shot of the left arm of Yeager L-2, few shots for you... sorry can't help.

name.jpg

c-3.jpg

yea0-067.jpg

050812-F-1234P-020.jpg

yours stu

watchmanjimg

That color K-2B picture is a really magnificent shot. Check out the wing and squadron patches and the early Submariner with no crown guards. Spectacular!