• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson A-1 Non-leather?

ausreenactor

Gents...

Given the birthday festivities and a few ales I just grabbed this in Japan.

I had spied one of these years ago for $450 with a Wolf Head patch on it. This is a 44
with no patch. I figure if ever I jump into an open cockpit radial I will look the goods.
Anybody have any ideas...

tbi_aberto_tomio-img600x450-1282903094avjfkg33608.jpg

tbi_aberto_tomio-img600x450-1282903094gbyszd33608.jpg

tbi_aberto_tomio-img600x450-1282903094d5byq633608.jpg

I find myself steering away from anything that I can pay retail for today/tomorrow.
Sticking to the less often seen repros..

Couchy..

jack aranda

I saw one of these, an original from who-knows how long ago, in a Seattle vintage clothing store that catered to the high-end Japanese market. The store owner did not know how old it was or even that it was fashioned after an A-1, but, he was sure it would fetch a good price in Japan. Gone...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ausreenactor said:
I figure if ever I jump into an open cockpit radial I will look the goods.
Anybody have any ideas...

I like them, it's a US Army jacket from a later period than the leather flight jackets, original examples sometimes appear on eBay.

With the "wool A-1" name ... I think that was just Buzz Rickson trying to capitalise on the similar appearance.

Doug C

I love those jackets, and plan to make a few of them in the near future. Here's an original that's missing the waist knit (obviously). What I want to know though, is what's it's official designation? They have collars like the navy A1s (forget the real model name at the mo, 37J) did... this particular collar looks soo soft don't you think. They have really distinct features with the rounded collar, double-knit cuffs (G1 type) that are not tubular knits, striped waistbands, six buttons up the front and two more at the waist (instead of snaps), slightly higher pocket than most A-1s. These are liner-less but I think a liner might be a nice "improvement". Great choice ausreenactor!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I like them, it's a US Army jacket from a later period than the leather flight jackets, original examples sometimes appear on eBay.

With the "wool A-1" name ... I think that was just Buzz Rickson trying to capitalise on the similar appearance.

I agree that it's a nice-looking jacket, though the lack of lining (meaning it would likely need to be worn over a long-sleeved shirt and maybe wouldn't provide all that much warmth) would prevent me from paying too much for one.

ausreenactor

Problem solved..

Found the jacket they tried to replicate on Page 15 of American Flight Jackets, Airmen & Aircraft by Maguire & Conway.
Identical copy, can not make out the AAF symbol under the collar as it is folded over. The ribs and knits are the same.
Chapter 1 American Flight Jacket: History and Development. Must have been a civvie version in the 30s? Knew I had
seen it. And I recall seeing one on a Japanese reference site..that is why I lashed out at Y18000. That makes 30 repros
that never get worn!!

Couchy

Doug C

deeb7 said:
Doug C said:
What I want to know though, is what's it's official designation?

• Liner, Jacket, Field
    M-1943, Women's

:?: , you joking, I know this can't be a liner for another jacket, can it... you almost had me going there for a minute! But these jackets don't have slash pockets, apuletts, seems up the bust line, they are not waist length and these came with waistbands - but it is pretty funny because they do share a similar resembelance :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
... it is pretty funny because they do share a similar resembelance :lol:

a29a0c80.jpg
a2b9fc80.jpg

Close as I could get. ;)

There's a discussion on one of the Japanese forums about these jackets. They're doubtful about Buzz Rickson's use of the A-1 name, but can't find out what they actually are called, to disprove it.