• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz N-1 Seawater Wash v's Standard N-1

Cobblers161

Any of you gents own one of the Buzz Seawater wash N-1's with the brown lining? I vaguely remember someone mentioning it last year.

The Eastman site states a thicker lining and superior quality to the standard N-1, which I own and cherish. Can anyone tell me how thick the lining is in comparison and does it warrant sizing up?

Also, and I guess more importantly, is it worth the extra bucks/moolah/dosh?

Peter Graham

If the seawater wash model has a thicker lining then does this not infer that one of the versions is inaccurate ? Either one's lining is too thin or the others is too thick. For some reason they have changed the font of the USN decal on the seawater version. This is inaccurate. The original model has the correct font.

Cobblers161

That could just be Eastman blurb to get punters to shell out the extra cash.

I've had a 50's N-1 through my hands and the lining was very similar to standard Buzz, certainly the colour was the same. I think possibly the description may mean the outer shell is thicker, not too sure.

We have been offering this Buzz product for a few years now, however, this is an alternate special model that differs in several ways - mainly this is noticeable in the fabulous 'Sea Water Wash Work' finish. A process that gives the garment a terrific vintage look. The time and effort that goes into this process actually takes longer than assembling the garment, which is one of the reasons of its limited supply.

Addtionally the outer shell fabric as well as the lining differ to the regular model being thicker and of a higher grade material.

Yeh, I have to admit the decal looks wrong.

I had an inkling it was you who bought the Seawater Wash version, though old age and a constant stream of alcohol have made the past seem a little fuzzy.

Peter Graham

Cobblers161 said:
I had an inkling it was you who bought the Seawater Wash version, though old age and a constant stream of alcohol have made the past seem a little fuzzy.
Not me mate though I do have a very seawater washed original.

havocpaul

I have only seen one at the Duxford show and it didn't feel very different in weight between the two. They only had a small (38) one left so I couldn't try it on, they look great, very vintage, didn't notice the decal issue at the time.

rich

Cobblers161 said:
Any of you gents own one of the Buzz Seawater wash N-1's with the brown lining? I vaguely remember someone mentioning it last year.

The Eastman site states a thicker lining and superior quality to the standard N-1, which I own and cherish. Can anyone tell me how thick the lining is in comparison and does it warrant sizing up?

Steve, I bought one last year -

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2434&hilit=buzz+rickson+deck+jacket&start=10

Is the sea-wash thing worth extra money? Well, probably not but there was no other choice for me at the time. I liked the fact it didn't seem brand spanking new out the box. It's a very warm, versatile jacket but the alpaca is coarse and will itch like a b*st*rd through a thin underlayer. Size wise, probably go true to size, mine's a 44" and fits well - I'll get dims off it if you like.

Swing

Cobblers161 said:

If you already have a deck jacket, and want something else, I'd get one of those brown tanker jackets. Damn cool! I wish they had 'em in my size.

~Swing

Cobblers161

Steve, I bought one last year -

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2434&hilit=buzz+rickson+deck+jacket&start=10

Is the sea-wash thing worth extra money? Well, probably not but there was no other choice for me at the time. I liked the fact it didn't seem brand spanking new out the box. It's a very warm, versatile jacket but the alpaca is coarse and will itch like a b*st*rd through a thin underlayer. Size wise, probably go true to size, mine's a 44" and fits well - I'll get dims off it if you like

Thanks rich, it's a damn fine looking jacket and I was tempted to plump for one and sell my current N-1 but I'd be at least a couple of hundred fine British Pounds out of pocket so I'll give it a swerve. Maybe next year!

I wouldn't mind the sleeve, shoulder and chest measurement of your 44" tho if it's handy. Just out of curiosity like ;)

rich

Size 44" Khaki Seawater Wash Buzz N-1

Across shoulders, seam to seam - 21 1/2"
Shoulder seam to end of arm - 26"
Pit to pit across front - 26"
Straight down windflap - 24 1/2"
Base of collar to jacket bottom - 28 1/2"

Hope this is useful. IMO you can't wear a T-shirt or very thin top beneath this jacket, otherwise the alpaca will torment you too much.