• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz L2 review

Tim P

acknowledgements and thanks to Couchy who recognised my long search for a below rip-off priced L2 in my size and, having procured it, was considerate enough to share his good fortune, it is totally in the spirit of friendly pricing and watching out for each other that makes this forum a fantastic place to associate with.

I took delvery today of a Buzz Rickson L2 jacket and although having had an L2a for a while now (and having preferred the blue as being altogether more 'Korean') the L2 has elevated itself in my estimations from chronological gap filler to out and out top ten.
As a replacement for the A2 it is an altogether better concieved jacket in terms of being able to move in it sitting down without the collar banging your earlobes, and the pocket access when wearing it around and about whichis one area where A2's, B3's and many other ww2 era flying jackets really fall down, especially for modern, non flight casual wear.

It has long been a vision of the USAF 'grownups' to de-militarise slightly in favour of a more corporate image, rightly or wrongly...and this is reflected in the gradual evolution of todays blazer or business suit like appearence of the dress uniform.

Thing being, in its olive drab shade, the l2 shows a clear lineage back to a thoroughly military mindset. It is wearable in a way that the A2 that it superceded can never be. Its design is a classic.
Being a baldy I have always been mindful of the skinhead associations that sadly mar the nylon bomber jacket but I thought that as long as I never match any of my nylon up with oxblood doc martens I shouldnt be causing anyone to believe that I am a neo nazi thug or such like.
anyway, despite being a light jacket, it was fine over a t shirt in todays 8 degrees C and I look forward to a summer of wear for that and its slightly younger brother as the fancy takes me.

what amazes and delights me about this L2, like all buzz jackets is the truly mil spec construction with an incredibly tight thread count and the fact that , unlike more modern nylons, it lacks much of the sheen. I would describe it as being reminiscent of cotton sateen really and alongside my rw B10 there is not a world of difference. I like this as much as I like the shiny appearence of new blue or sage nylon.

A total winner of a jacket and a current favourite. worth top price? maaaaaybe not to me but only because I have so much other nylon. (by my reckoning) This made me hold off paying new price but once offered at a price where it was l slightly ess of an indulgence I was all over it. If that seems tight fisted it shouldnt, I always wanted one but could not budget for premuium price.

Thanks Couchy and well done to Buzz for consistent high quality.

Tim P

Peter Graham said:
Great review Tim. Many thanks, but I think there's something missing in the visual department. :)

I understand but better pics than I could ever take are on elc and hpa websites... :)

Tim P

The other rationale is that there is no easy way for me to uplload pics, let me have a bash.....

One thing I didnt mention is the real man sizing of this, as a bit of a brute with some shoulders, tending towards a 46 I am happy to report that this 44 fits comfortably over a T shirt and a loose hoody.

Peter Graham

Tim P said:
The other rationale is that there is no easy way for me to uplload pics, let me have a bash
Oh come on Tim, don't be bashful. You've been around here long enough to know how photobucket works. Seriously though, it's the fit pictures that are all important to see how good the cut is.

Phantomfixer

Nothing like in the flesh, so to speak pics. The online pics are kinda like Playboy pics, airbrushed .....but a good review....

Willy McCoy

My favorite photos of Nylon Jackets are ones that members post here. Buzz Rickson Japan does good photos too but the people wearing them do not remind me much of the Airmen that actually donned the jackets.

One of the greatest features of the L-2 over the L-2A or L-2B is the lining material. Tougher than the satiny smooth rayon that comes with the L2-A or B.

46748_431264424247_772984247_4719395_4791061_n.jpg

Here is a picture of my cottonpickin' L-2. A Real McCoy's.

ausreenactor

Tim,

If I may, I can assist with a few teasers, so to speak? Here are the pics I sent off to Tim. The colour is off in the pics, but this was going to
be a keeper if Tim did not elect to snaffle it. I had been watching the posts from Tim in the topics for a couple of years; however, the Yahoo market failed to provide anything in a larger size.

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

Couchy

Tim P

Its not really a question of need though with buzz rickson stuff is it?
Really really want maybe
Can't imagine life without it maybe.....