• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz ELC 'Salt Water Wash' Deck jacket

A

Anonymous

Thanks for posting those Peter. You jacket looks exactly like mine. The BR one looks like it's been out under a Pacific sun for months or was worn at Bikini Atoll and gone radio-active !!

I love that name stencil. Anyone know how to replicate that ?

Cheers,
Dave

ausreenactor

Which stencil were you after? The U. S. N.? on Peter's jacket chest? I have a spare iron on. I did a CAB OD Deck Hook with a patch from Ties. They MIGHT still be available on eBay from either Vintageproduction or a Hong Kong seller for around $5?

Couchy

A

Anonymous

Hi Couchy,
Actually it was the name stencil under the 'USN' one that appeals. I wondererd how it was done back in the day and if such kits are still available ?

I too have used repro ones and they are great.

Cheers,
Dave

Peter Graham

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I wondererd how it was done back in the day and if such kits are still available ?
Dave, it appears that the stencil was made for the individual person rather than a standard one with interchangeable letters. I'm sure one could be made up if you were careful.

ausreenactor

There are guys at the sig regiment who use the Marsh machine to punch out snappy stencils with a very military look. Use it to label boxes etc... Given the 'inside' part of the letters are still there, could it have been a stamp? There are numerous references out there on where to ID WWII kit, but I can not instantly relay how they did it. I am sure you could get a stamp made today to do anything. We have all manner of large stamps to save Aircrew writing. And they are a lot finer than the name on the jacket (which is a ripper by the way). Just a thought...

Couchy

kevlarg

ausreenactor said:
There are guys at the sig regiment who use the Marsh machine to punch out snappy stencils with a very military look. Use it to label boxes etc... Given the 'inside' part of the letters are still there, could it have been a stamp? There are numerous references out there on where to ID WWII kit, but I can not instantly relay how they did it. I am sure you could get a stamp made today to do anything. We have all manner of large stamps to save Aircrew writing. And they are a lot finer than the name on the jacket (which is a ripper by the way). Just a thought...

Couchy

Great suggestion Couchy. The stamp is the way to go. If you have some graphic design skills or know someone who does you/they could easily reproduce that artwork with whatever name you wanted. Then you email that to a stamp making company and they make one for you. Its not terribly expensive I had one made for my girl's business so she could stamp the company name and logo on anything she sent out. Do a web search and I am sure you can make one with ease.

Kevin