• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brown Knits vs. Red Knits

billyk

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some input on the knit color I should go with on my BK Arco. The jacket will probably be made in their russet cowhide. Which is a better look in your opinion?

Thanks!

Dr H

I'm less convinced about russet hide and berry knits, but if you were going down a dark seal brown/mustard lining Aero route then the berry knits are a superb combination.

billyk

Thanks for the replies! It looks like berry knits are the way to go.

@Dr. H I agree with you in that the seal/dark seal plus berry knits are the way to go, but I don't think the Badalassi hides have the reddish undertones commonly seen on original Aeros.

Has anyone seen an original Aero in seal/dark seal without the reddish undertones? I've also considered just simply going with the Victory Horsehide, but I'm sorta keen on the cowhide.

Dr H

[quote="billyk]@Dr. H I agree with you in that the seal/dark seal plus berry knits are the way to go, but I don't think the Badalassi hides have the reddish undertones commonly seen on original Aeros.[/quote]

If it were my choice, I'd opt for a more russet hide and overdye it seal. It would wear through a treat.

Persimmon

I would still recommend the Berry Knits with the russet leather.
When you think of Aero A2's its so iconic.

I received in June my Aero Bill Kelso Victory horse with berry knits and I am pleased with the combination of Dark Seal and Berry.
I am sure the Russet leather and berry knits will look superb.

Here are a few pics taken a few days ago.

Jeff M

Here is a link to a thread started by CBI some time back, with some photos of red knits on a Good Wear "Acme" (Aero design) showing them with something other than a dark seal hide;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13672

I'm thinking of that combo for my next jacket.

The color of knits GW is using may be different from what BK is using..and it's hard to catch shades of colors with photos..but you get the idea.

billyk

@Dr. H That would really be something. I wonder if that is something BK can do.

@Alan Wow, that jacket is fantastic. It's nice to finally see some worn pics of a Bill Kelso A-2. I was real curious as to how their jackets look with age.

@Jeff CBI's 21996 is amazing. I wonder how John gets those reddish undertones. Do you think he uses a specific kind of leather for his Acme contracts?

Jeff M

billyk said:

@Jeff CBI's 21996 is amazing. I wonder how John gets those reddish undertones. Do you think he uses a specific kind of leather for his Acme contracts?

That looks like one of the russet horse hides John was/is using.

Another GW "Acme" with red knits;

8f6726ae94beb48f9b8c282ea0599e2c.jpg
[/quote]

Good Wear used to offer a "red russet" horsehide that definitely has some red in it.
Some photos of a GW Dubow that I purchased from Alan some time back (If you notice the fellow modeling it is way too handsome to be me, you are correct. It's Alan.)

3f2b0f0b53a9c3c8715206b9735b8f09.jpg

ac87fb4a47f668e0f844b81d58b637a0.jpg

6c056ad4e1ee97bf7add90f4e63dfdd6.jpg
[/quote]

ausreenactor

Berry...

Loud and proud!!

Here is my Buzz Rickson Aero..

Apologies for the lacklustre pic...but the jacket is AWESOME!! All due to the awesomeness of the knits no less..

Couchy

ausreenactor

The Buzz Aero deserved some better pics..

This Buzz Rickson is a brand newbie and has not developed any additional grain. I think
of all the evidence to support provided to you today you will have no choice but to go with
red/rust/berry knits! Whacking this one on has only reinforced my decision to put my BR Rough
Wear up for sale. The look of the Aero ('irregardless' of which maker you elect to enlist) is
a pretty iconic one, and one of the few contracts that busts through the 'brown bomber jacket'
haze that many can get lost in. Good luck with it..

Couchy

billyk

Thanks for the additional pics, Couchy. The BR looks superb! And yes, at this point I am very much leaning towards the berry knits. :D

mindful

billyk said:

@Alan Wow, that jacket is fantastic. It's nice to finally see some worn pics of a Bill Kelso A-2. I was real curious as to how their jackets look with age.

i have to say that BK looks really nice,much better looking than the timeworn effect that eastman leather does alan

ausreenactor

mindful said:
billyk said:

i have to say that BK looks really nice,much better looking than the timeworn effect that eastman leather does alan

Of all the Aero clones postulated in recent days the BK surely takes the cake...

Couchy

MikeyB-17

Swimming against the tide here, I say brown. I have never liked the Aero red knits, I think they look daft and unmilitary, and like something they chucked on because they ran out of brown ones. Are we calling them Berry these days? I always thought they were Rust.