• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronson m421a

coolhandluke

The Bronson M-421A arrived yesterday. Initial impressions were mostly positive, but it does have one glaring issue aside from the style of the zipper pull itself. The pull is installed on the left side (opposite of windflap). Aside from being incorrect, it makes the jacket more difficult to zip since the windflap gets in the way and the bottom pin is also crowded by the seam directly below. This could be seen in Bronson's product photos, but unfortunately I overlooked it.

The material used is a cotton twill that had a very sateen like feel before washing. Now it just feels like a typical cotton twill, that is similar in weight to a pair of twill khaki trousers.

IMO, the cut of the jacket is flattering. Not boxy at all. I'm assuming that the sleeves may taper just a bit more than an original. The color of the fabric looks to be closer to an original. Much more so than 5*. The 5* may be a better choice though, given the zipper issues.

I'll update with photos as soon as I am able, but it may not be until tomorrow.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Hmmm a left hand euro style zip installation? I thought Bronson knew better than that. Hopefully this is just an initial test run and that is a mistake.

You may be able to flip the zip. It depends on if the bottom box is reversible or not. You would have to remove the zip, flip it over, and reinstall it on the opposite sides.

If you went to all that trouble, you might as well just change it out for a better repro zipper though.

coolhandluke

Hmmm a left hand euro style zip installation? I thought Bronson knew better than that. Hopefully this is just an initial test run and that is a mistake.

If that's the case, then the jackets shouldn't have been listed on Bronson's site and the issue corrected before the release. It's a half-assed mistake or oversight that I'm a bit upset for overlooking.

Last edited:

leper-colony

If that's the case, then the jackets shouldn't have been listed on Bronson's site and the issue corrected before the release. It's a half-assed mistake or oversight that I'm a bit upset for overlooking.
They originally started making jackets that way.

Ritchy

I bought one too and I don't understand this backwards zipper thing but English is not my mother langage. However, comparing with the photo of an original, I don't see the difference except that thez zipper is placed too low. RMC seems to have made the same mistake in the second photo.
original-ww2-us-navy-m-421a-flying-jacket-by-drybak---size-42_37043_pic8_size1.jpg

m-421a-jacket-fei-hu.jpg

Skyhawk

I bought one too and I don't understand this backwards zipper thing but English is not my mother langage. However, comparing with the photo of an original, I don't see the difference except that thez zipper is placed too low. RMC seems to have made the same mistake in the second photo.
If that first picture is the Bronson, then they did that one correct. Correct meaning "Right Hand Zip" or "Left Hand Insert". In other words, you use your right hand on the puller, the left hand to insert the zip feeder tooth into the box.

coolhandluke

View attachment 143733

View attachment 143735

Zipper pull is installed on left side of the zipper chain. It should be installed on the right (windflap) side.

Screenshot_20240402_122724_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ritchy

If that first picture is the Bronson, then they did that one correct. Correct meaning "Right Hand Zip" or "Left Hand Insert". In other words, you use your right hand on the puller, the left hand to insert the zip feeder tooth into the box.
Thank you Jay, the first picture come from an original, the second is a Real McCoy's

Shanghai-Mayne

Mine 38’s zip puller was on the wrong side as well.
But considering the price tag, it is near impossible for them to order new (puller on the right side or better quality) zip. They simpl use what they already have in stock.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Saw the BRONSON version on their homepage - looks cool and i'm pretty convinced about the quality of their stuff

Since there was no other "economic" version available i meanwhile ordered 3 of them at 5* - ohne is meanwhile with our fellow forum member @Griffon_301 - on the other 2 i added 2 cm sleevelenght

so far i never handled an original and i can judge from photos only but i think the colortone is pretty near to the real jackets

fg10DRm.jpg

22UkZ5q.jpg

ThdIkUl.jpg

Keaqfhy.jpg

vinleather

Hello. The eBay site has had multiple sellers of new M-421A from China but the prices with shipping all seem to add to over $100 and about the same price as from Bronson or FiveStar.

Would anyone here post some of the actual measurements of the brand and size that he bought?

I am looking to buy a used M-421A but I just noticed that I am not supposed to post an offer in the buying section because I am new here.

Thank you.