• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

British Air Forces 1914 - 1918, Images of War

Smithy

Another SE5a pic and this time the mount of one of the greatest aces and scout leaders of the war, Mick Mannock...

Mannock-960_640.jpg

And a view of the office...

Cockpit-of-British-SE5A-biplane-on-airfield-1281073.jpg

Lord Flashheart

I must go back to the Shuttleworth Collection sometime. I recall they have an SE5a. I presume that's leather trim around the cockpit to ensure the pilot doesn't damage the fabric rather than for his comfort?

As you have that Haynes Manual (good call that must look out for one) is that a magneto switch beside the exhaust ? Bit warm ...

Smithy

I must go back to the Shuttleworth Collection sometime. I recall they have an SE5a. I presume that's leather trim around the cockpit to ensure the pilot doesn't damage the fabric rather than for his comfort?

As you have that Haynes Manual (good call that must look out for one) is that a magneto switch beside the exhaust ? Bit warm ...

Yup that's the starter magneto which is cranked round quickly either by the pilot or a third groundcrew chap whilst another swings the prop over compression. No drama for the pilot as he was wearing flying gloves or mittens and the hand was brought back in smartish after the engine fired.

You definitely should go to Shuttleworth as that is the only airworthy original SE in the world. The leather trim round the cockpit was to protect the fabric with the pilot climbing in and out but also as padding when tossed around the cockpit under intense manoeuvring during combat.

Micawber

Excellent photos Tim. We lived about 10-15 minutes from the Shuttleworth collection for years and spent a lot of time there both privately and in connection with other activities. Pootling over on with a picnic a summers evening in whatever classic car or something we had at the time in order to lap up one of their late WW1 aircraft was almost ethereal. Far more relaxed than Duxford. Spent so much time in both places with veterans long passed I don't really get the urge to return that often now.

Smithy

Excellent photos Tim. We lived about 10-15 minutes from the Shuttleworth collection for years and spent a lot of time there both privately and in connection with other activities. Pootling over on with a picnic a summers evening in whatever classic car or something we had at the time in order to lap up one of their late WW1 aircraft was almost ethereal. Far more relaxed than Duxford. Spent so much time in both places with veterans long passed I don't really get the urge to return that often now.

I personally think Shuttleworth is one of the most special warbird collections and the Shuttleworth SE really is one of the most historically important warbirds in the world today. WWII warbirds are special but these WWI even more so due to their rarity and the fact that so many didn't survive. The fact that the Shuttleworth SE is also not only a combat veteran but also a victor over one of the best aircraft of WWI, a Fokker D.VII, only adds to how special it is.

Micawber

The venue itself is very special, not too big nor overly commercial. Their displays are very true to those of the past, it still feels personal. I've seen some of the best display flying there.

Edited to add the restoration work and teams of volunteers are top notch. Lovely place.

Smithy

It's meant to be absolutely wonderful and the atmosphere is like walking back in time 100 years.

If you do, take lots of snaps and post them here.

Lord Flashheart

Will do. I can recall the interest when it was first recognised as being worthy of preservation and pretty much unchanged from it's WW1 days but I moved away from my interest in flying (long story, I used to have an Aeronca 7AC) and have only recently re-found that. In part due to this Forum and the knowledge here.

Smithy

Although not images from the war, Stow Maries is so unique in the world I thought it was probably worth adding a few photos of the aerodrome and the activities it supports. It's on my must visit list next time I'm back in Blighty!

stow-maries-1.jpg

generic-page-bg.jpg

aircraft-line.jpg

DPp1o5XWsAQr6tz.jpg

Stow_Maries-7_xlarge.jpg

And can you believe it? A cheeky Hun turned up at the 'drome!

albatros-taking-off.jpg

Smithy

Thanks chaps, you had to be a tough, old barnacle just to go up and fly in an aeroplane in WWI, let alone to go up and fight in one.