• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brill Bros G1 from 1968

Wallie

A while back I acquired a rather nice Brill Bros G1 from 1968 (at least according to the label). After quite some research I couldn't quite find out if the collar is indeed mouton (it's supposed to be) or synthetic. The color is a somewhat reddish brown. If necessary I could try to take a pic with a bit more direct light on the collar.
I just don't have enough experience or other jackets to compare to. So I would like to ask the experts here if they could give me their input on the matter. Your opinions would be much welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    349.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 185

Skyhawk

It also appears to have the goatskin textured cowhide leather.

I have a similar jacket. The Brill Bros labels are weird. Mine has a 1975 label that has the date crossed out and a 1982 written in. It looks like it was factory done and it's in the proper format. Like they had a bunch of labels left for 1975 that they needed to use for a 1982 contract. Why is the date line dark?

Skyhawk

Here is one original with the same contract label. It's totally different materials. Goatskin / Sheep fur. I think this is a later jacket that you have. It could be a reused old label, or even a modern repro that they did, like Imperial / Branded. They did some mil spec jackets with correct labels and zips for a while some years back. I remember seeing those blacked out labels before.
Screenshot 2023-04-04 084709.png

To me it looks like a late 1970's / early 80's jacket.

Edit: A little digging into the specs shows that the synthetic collars hit with the Mil-J-7823E(AS) update in 1971. The Mil-J-7823D(WP) contract ran from 1966 to 1971.
Your jacket is post 1971. It has to be or it would have real fur. Also the pressed cow hide. I don't think that came online until the 1980's. The Mil-J-7823E(AS) begining in 1975 still had Goatskin listed as the required leather. No mention of Cowhide. That part is a bit hazy though and I have not been able to find out exactly when they started using cowhide.

There are a few other weird Brill Bros. jackets on eBay right now too.

Last edited:

Wallie

Thank you all very much for the information. Cowhide would explain why the jacket is somewhat heavy. Interesting that the manufactures could slap old labels on the jackets and get away with it. Unfortunately I have no background on the jacket and the seller couldn‘t provide any.
But it is a nice and robust jacket. Still a bit stiff so I don’t know if I wear the jacket or the jacket me.
I‘ve attached another pic of the collar but think it is synthetic.

Attachments

• IMG_6405.jpeg
    IMG_6405.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_9429.jpeg
    IMG_9429.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 154

ZuZu

Cowhide started to be used in 1975.
This one is a NOS example from 76 still in its bag. The pressed cowhide and synthetic fur are very evident in this one.View attachment 104219View attachment 104223View attachment 104221
These jackets I could buy back in the day- just like that- new in the bag. Cool to have one like that now but it doesn't take away from their "blah!" characteristics. Funny- the repro goatskin made out of cowhide is actually kinda cool- it's floppy and comfy like old originals- not all weird and stiff as is some of the stuff today.

These jackets were the first in the actual decline of the G-1 but they are much better than the sad Cooper and DHS crap of today!