• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

blue wool cap D-1A

deand

I have one of those in identical condition and wear it quite often, it's comfortable and warm. And it raises the question I've had of why something with the winged star with Army Air Forces is stamped on it...and it's Air Force blue! I've seen the khaki versions, only in photos, and they make sense, but I guess it means:

a) They went to blue before the nomenclature changed.

b) The contractors missed the memo on the stamp change, but got the one on color shift.

c) The production staff grabbed the wrong stamp die and no one noticed until a significant run had been packed and shipped.

d) Other.

My guess is a) plus d), but it's really interesting to see something in mid-evolution, a missing link in Air power history.

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
There's one on John's CD ...

This cap is quite interesting. I don't see too many of them, and it's made under the newer MIL-C-6821A standard, yet it has an Army Air Force stamp on it, which would have been used up to about 1947. Also, this is the earliest item I've seen made by Blue Anchor Overall, who are known for mid-1950's flight gear.

watchmanjimg

I found this interesting as well. The "AF" prefix in the order number suggests post-AAF issue, as does the blue color which was specifically developed to highlight the Air Force's newly acquired identity. I can only imagine the AAF stamp was a fluke, much like the "US Air Forces" stamp seen in some early nylon garments.

USMC_GAU-21

Well it just goes to show us that "anything is possible".

But, since this was Blue Anchor Overall, the labels were printed up in accordance with the Contract, but maybe the stamps they had on hand were not U.S. Air Force, but Army Air Forces, with plenty of white ink everywhere. to get the garments out to the active forces they stamped them with what they had, and the gov't inspector accepted them. Happens all the time. Thus, creating a fairly "rare" hat.

Here is my D-1A Cap, Blue Anchor Coverall, but no Stencil:

4213112269_3cf0155d5e_b.jpg

4213878500_c344f243a7_b.jpg

Now here is an interesting stamp as it appears to be a light indigo blue or even a purple, they are an early A-9 by Albert Turner:

4283711198_1f0c973eac_o.jpg

4283711360_1314dc5320_o.jpg