• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue One

Maverickson

I have been looking forward to sharing some photographs of my new to me B-15C with the forum members. Upon recieving this jacket I immmediately sent it out to my favorite seamstress have the knits replaced. Where upon when I first tried this jacket on one of the cuffs disintegrated in my hand. Most important, I am now very pleased with the overall condition of the jacket and it fits me nearly perfectly with room to grow.

DSCN0756-1.jpg

The surprise to me was how this jacket fit as I am more used to the fit a USN G-1 style flight jacket. Deeb7 indicated that the B-15C was a more modern style fit and after wearing it a few times I tend to agree with David's point of view. Surely, Atticus Finch would concur with me on this point, that there is just a little more " gut room ", in the B-15C.

About the only thing left to do with the jacket other than wear it from time to time and contemplate having it dry cleaned. The jacket is overall in clean condition except where hands had come in and out of the pockets and there is some spot soiling. However, the soiling is only really evident after inspecting the jacket in very bright light. The temptation is still there but the thought of fading this jackets marvelous blue color makes me think twice. This jacket is very fine but not exactly perfect. There is also a slight but noticable bald spot just above the label which no doubt resulted from use of the loop hanger and one slight snag just above the right side pocket.

DSCN0751-1.jpg

DSCN0753.jpg

B-15CLabel.jpg

This is not the first nylon jacket flight jacket I have ever owned nor is it the first Air Force jacket. However, it is one the finest I have ever owned and am pleased to add this so well known, dare I say icon, of the Air Force jackets into my collection. Interestingly enough guys, I was able to convince my wife that this jacket was more than worth while to have after showing her a photo I found of Marlyn Monroe wearing it. I will post a few more photos of this wonderful jacket in the near future.

Thanks, Dave

Atticus

Hi Dave,

That really is a great jacket. I wish that I could find a original in size 48---I'd be on it in an instant. The only original blue that I own is my N-2A.

I can't tell from the photos, but is there anything left of the shoulder roundel? If so, maybe you shouldn't dry clean the jacket. I've always understood that the chemicals used in dry cleaning are tough on old decals.

AF

dujardin

splendid jacket....
do you intend to patch her with korean war era insignas/patch ?
byeeeeeee marcel

Man, that's nice and makes me miss mine. My Dad was given one by a kindly Air Force flight engineer on his way home from Vietnam on a Military flight that stopped off in Alaska to refuel. He was on his way home for emergency leave due to a sudden illness my mother had. The Air Force guy told Dad to keep the jacket- he had been shivering in jungle utilities.

When he got back to North Carolina my uncle picked him up at the airport and admired the jacket. Dad gave it to him and he wore it for many years. After my uncle's death, his wife told me the story about it and gave me the jacket.

A couple years ago I went home to my Dad's house to retrieve the jacket- it was beat but still a keeper- and the jacket had disappeared. Don't know what happened to it...but it's gone.

Weasel_Loader

Wow!!! You sure don't see those original B-15Cs is that great of condition all the time. I love my Buzz B-15C and by far my favorite nylon jacket. Thanks for sharing the photos with us and I agree that you shouldn't dry clean it unless it REALLY needs it. ;)

jack aranda

Hi, Maverickson, and all the other Nylon fans. I received my first ever nylon jacket today, a Cockpit 1943 Repro B-15, purchased new from U.S. Wings. I don't know much, yet, about the nylon universe, but, I sure do like this jacket. I'll post pics soon, though, I expect everyone here is very familiar with the jacket.

Until I began following the VLJ forum, I never glanced at or thought about nylon jackets, but, there have been some excellent threads here extolling their virtues. Atticus, Peter Graham, and several others have provided me with a wealth of info and insight, to the point where I felt like, "Yeah. I'd wear one of those. They look sharp." So, it's all your fault, guys, that I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where I can hang the new jacket; the closets are full up.

Pics in a couple of days. The jacket is a size 42, green.

jack aranda

Hello, Maverickson, and the other fellows on this thread:
I apologize for bursting in on the conversation here last evening. :oops: It was rude of me. I should have told you, Maverickson, what a beauty that blue model is. And, then, I should have started a new thread. Being a newbie is no excuse.