• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blood Chits

During the war, how common/widespread was the use if blood chits? Were these more glamorized post-war? I’ve seen examples sewn onto jackets, so I know they were at least somewhat prevalent, I was just wondering how common they actually were. I’m looking at getting and sewing one into my M422a. Thanks.

Brettafett

Not very common in WWII and solely in the CBI theatre.

Started with the AVG, generally silk chits sewn on the back of flying overalls (or inside of jackets?). Ive not seen any pics of original AVG M-442/As or A-2s with chit sewn on the back, either silk or leather.
Would love to see evidence of the contrary.

Later with the 23rdFG and other CBI groups... 14th AF, etc... it became more prevalent. Both leather and silk chits, stitched onto back and also on inside of A-2s.

It appears that the few AVG pilots who stayed on to form the nucleus of the 23rd FG kept their M-422/As... A lot of stuff was scarce and in short supply.
Maybe some were even retained and passed on to newly arrived pilots? There are many photos from the 23rd FG showing M-422As mixed in with A-2s.
However, most, if not all newly arriving pilots from the US were issued A-2s.
One can find lots of CBI theatre jackets adorned with layered leather squadron and group patches, but Ive only seen evidence of blood chits sewn onto backs of A-2s.

Interesting note: Tex Hill retained his M-422A (no blood chit), and apparently there were a few M-422as shared among pilots, thanks to a recent post from @johnslemp confirming such.
(Id never let some other guy wear my jacket!!)

Later in the Korean war, chits were sewn onto back of some (re-issued) A-2s and G-1s

Happy to be corrected.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

Made of Muslim, silk, embroidered silk, linen, cotton, leather, you name it. Stitched to the back outside, or inside, or on the front inside liner, left or right. Early chits we’re often multi leather construction, painted with veg dye that often bled. As the war in the chi progressed, printed, numbered cloth or cotton or silk versions were produced. Some made in China, some in India, some in Thailand, some in the us, some in oz…….etc.