• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block M422a

ScottoLaw

Hey Guys,

This is my first vintage and I'd like to thank the fellow forum member that was kind enough to reply to my WTB post reference a G-1 I was originally looking for. He was also very kind enough to answer my PMs and really take the time to start my vintage education. Thanks to the other members that also helped me out! I really appreciate it. Here are a few pics. The jacket is super soft and although missing the spec label, seems to be a very nice example of a Block. The grain is wonderful and mouton is still very thick with no balding. There are obvious signs of age, but that really gives the jacket character.

I am curious if you guys can suggest the best way to condition the leather? There are some areas that show more wear than others. Does it devalue a vintage to maybe throw some polish on it in certain spots where it is more worn? Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic. I am not looking to dye the jacket. But it had crossed my mind to maybe put a small amount of brown polish/wax on the more worn spots to blend them better. Thanks.

Scott

166.jpg

168.jpg

171.jpg

002-5.jpg

172.jpg

008-5.jpg

175-1.jpg

001-6.jpg

174-1.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ScottoLaw said:
I am curious if you guys can suggest the best way to condition the leather? There are some areas that show more wear than others. Does it devalue a vintage to maybe throw some polish on it in certain spots where it is more worn?

So that worked out well. ;)

If by polish you mean shoe polish, I don't think that's a good idea, but leather conditioner would be fine. I quite like the worn patches.
For a condtioner I use RM Williams, but I don't know what you have available. The rest of the forum is likely to recommend Pecards ... I'm kinda out of step there.

JOHNO

It looks great Scott!

Its just my opinion but I would'nt try to blend in the worn spots, thats the "Character" of the jacket.

ScottoLaw

Thanks guys. It will stay as is with an annual pecards treatment. The previous
owner said it might date to early 40s but was not certain. It fit trim but
isso soft that it is not tight at all. Really pleased with it. Ill post better pics later
to really show the character of the jacket.

Scott

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ScottoLaw said:
The previous owner said it might date to early 40s but was not certain.

Block had the last M-422A contract FY 1943, followed by the first of the AN6552 FY 1944.

ScottoLaw

Hey David,

Thanks for the info. I am amazed at how well the jacket has aged. I can only imagine where this coat may have seen service back during the 40's.

Scott

vvv.jpg

bnhg.jpg

bgb.jpg

ScottoLaw

Here a few more pics. Thanks again for the replies. Would like to see pics of other foum members' M422a's if anyone cares to post them up, please do so.

Scott

efef.jpg

dsd.jpg

bnhg-1.jpg

xz.jpg

ede.jpg