• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Grant

In honor of Black History Month thought I'd share a photo for Benjamin O. Davis. In WWII Davis overcame Army racial bigotry and commanded the 332nd FG in Italy. Davis flew in WWII and Korea eventually retiring as four star General. My dad served under him in Korea when he commanded 51st FIW in 1953. My pop always spoke fondly of him as a commanding officer.

Davis!.jpg

Dany McDonald

Just finished watching Devotion. Had no clue about the story and I liked it. Found it touching and I enjoyed the visual aspect (photography, editing) and well balanced storytelling. The VFX were correctly harnessed and there to support the movie so the flight action scenes were fluid and believable. The first marines action scenes were also well done.

Which we had more Korean war era stories on the big screen.

Thought I'd share something positive in this thread.

D

CK90

In honor of Black History Month thought I'd share a photo for Benjamin O. Davis. In WWII Davis overcame Army racial bigotry and commanded the 332nd FG in Italy. Davis flew in WWII and Korea eventually retiring as four star General. My dad served under him in Korea when he commanded 51st FIW in 1953. My pop always spoke fondly of him as a commanding officer.

View attachment 137009
That's seriously epic dude!

Smithy

One of the things that makes me proud to be a Kiwi was how this segregation crap wasn't tolerated by my countrymen at the time, and how they violently opposed it. One incidence occurred at the end of the war when a Yank ship was transporting NZ troops out of Europe. The American crew kicked up a stink about the NZ Maoris being on the same deck as "whites". There was a huge fracas and riot and the white Kiwi soldiers threatened to basically throw every Yank off the boat who wouldn't let the Maoris in the same places as everyone else. End result - the Maoris could go where they liked.

Chandler

Haven't watched the films yet, but the descriptions sound good -- will run through them later.

B-Man2

I'd heard of these fire jumpers before, but check out some of their kit.

Looks like they were issued D-1s or
I'd heard of these fire jumpers before, but check out some of their kit.

Definitely nice jump kit D-1 jackets and shearling lined pants . This is the first I’ve learned about this group of men . I sure hope they were paid the extra $50.00 a month for jump pay and that they got their jump wings and enjoyed the same status symbol of blousing their of jump boots . Stuff like this needs to be talked about more and publicized. Being jump qualified this way there should have been a black Parachute Infantry Combat Regiment. These guys certainly had the training and courage to qualify for such a unit.