• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Gold!

oose

How the hell did he get that one back!

P-47oil1.jpg

Page1-2.jpg

yours stu

Django

Pretty famous photo. Jugs were TOUGH. Unlike the Mustangs where flying low, with a lucky shot to a coolant line and you were walking or swimming home.

Andrew

A Mate of mine Alan Righetti landed his Kittyhawk in North Africa under similar circumstances. I don't recall that his was caused by the enemy, just a burst oil line. You can see that half his face is covered in oil but the only way he could see was to stick his head out into the hot oil stream. He had many lucky escapes like this.

105a.jpg

T-Bolt

Stu (oose) questions......."How the Hell did he get that one back"???

My answer to that question is short and sweet, and it is.........Pratt & Whitney R-2800!

One of the finest piston-type engines ever invented.

At the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends last year I spoke with Bob Green who flew over 94 missions out of England with the 83rd Fighter Squadron, 78th Fighter Group. During his service he flew most of the fighters in the U.S. inventory and I asked him which one was his favorite and that he put his faith in. His answer.......without a doubt the P-47 T-Bolt!! He said that he and other Jug pilots had made it back home more than once with one or more cylinder barrels shot off of the R-2800 by flak or enemy fighters.

You just gotta love the "Big Stud" P-47 and its great powerplant the P&W R-2800!

Ted