• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bl****dy Huge Irvin

coanda

I posted some pictures of this jacket pre restoration, it is now back and very much a "wearer"......
Very many thanks to Julie up at Alexander Leathers for her work on this. I would defy anyone to find the repairs! I cannot recommend highly enough the quality of their restoration work on Irvins.
Advertising over!! Now I just need to find someone capable of "re-fleecing" my head!
This is undoubtedly the largest original wartime jacket I have ever come across, I am for reference about a 46" plus chest and this is huge on me!
I am still no clearer as to who the likely manufacturer was! Thoughts?
Regards to all
Rick
P1110565.jpg

P1110567.jpg

P1110568.jpg

P1110571.jpg

P1110572.jpg

P1110533.jpg

P1110535.jpg

P1110537.jpg

P1110542.jpg

P1110543.jpg

P1110545.jpg

B-Man2

Rick;

Great looking Irvin, with a "little room" for a sweater!

Jason

Heck of a nice Irvin, and you're right: the repairs are almost invisible. Splendid job!
I was going to say IAC as the manufacturer, based solely on the collar shape... but then other things point away from them.
Interesting to see the non-symmetrical nature of the belt loops & the triangular 'quarter' panels. I'm sure Andrew will give you the definitive answer as to who originally crafted this fine jacket.

Roughwear

Fantastic jacket Rick. Alexander have done a great restoration job on it.I see the maker has left their mark on the breast-"JR"! ;) Seriously though it may be by IAC, but could be the work of one of the many unrecorded subcontractors. It is not Wareings, Links, DGL or Robinson and Ensum. IAC could not cope with the volume of jackets required to fulfil AM contracts and I understand used subcontractors to make Irvins and this could be one of those jackets. Shame it lacks its label and contract number.

Peter Graham

That is a biggie Rick, but a wearable size for you. What repairs did they do ? I'm still looking for someone trustworthy enough to repair my Irvin with the panels you sent me.

flyboy

Just to repeat the other gents: Wow. That is some jacket you got there, Rick. And not too tight either. ;)