• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Birth of Hot Rods and lots of jackets

dujardin

thanksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

real cool photos of a great era, fiftiesssssssssss

many guys from the navy there.... ;)

byeee marcel

Peter Graham

Amazing, stunning photos. Thanks a million. Fantastic hot rods and more WW2 surplus jackets than you can count.

MikeyB-17

Fantastic stuff! The surplus stores were obviously doing a roaring trade (or I guess a lot of those jackets were being worn by by vets who brought them home after the War).

Weasel_Loader

With the abundance of flight jacket apparel, I wouldn't be surprised if that was most Muroc lake bed.

Love the first pic with the Belly Tank racer. ;)

dmar836

Fantastic. Almost looks staged for people like us!
An old collector friend, who has passed, told me AN6553 goggles used to be in barrels for 50 cents after the war! Wonder what a nice A-2 went for?
Dave
Kansas City, USA

Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader said:
With the abundance of flight jacket apparel, I wouldn't be surprised if that was most Muroc lake bed.

Love the first pic with the Belly Tank racer. ;)

I actually meant Rogers Dry Lake near Muroc. I do believe the races were run by Muroc Timing Association though. ;)

Cobblers161

Very cool pics Stu, thanks v.much. I love this stuff.

I'd love to see a hi-res version of these images, any ideas where I can get my grubby mitts on some? Also do you know if they are available as prints anywhere?

Clearly some of the guys in the shots picked up the jackets as surplus but there are also a few older guys in there who could easily have been vets. Very interesting indeed.

oose

Hi Django,

thanks for the link to the book, I did wonder where they came from, something for the Christmas list!

stu

Peter Graham

asiamiles said:
Maybe we can try and ID all the jackets being worn in each photo?
OK, I'm just talking military jackets here. The first photo has a B-7, a B-15a, an A-2 and possibly an N-1. The guy in the foreground in the second pic is wearing maybe the coolest jacket I've ever seen.