• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso, Mfg is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Gentlemen,

I was astute and lucky enough to enroll in Bill Kelso's program to replace the knits of my original 1402 Werber. Fortunately for me, Platon was still looking for an original to copy for one of his next Manufacturer's reproduction releases and I happened to have one in a size 42. However, there was much more to be done to the jacket in addition to simply replacing the knits. The zipper had to be replaced, the collar leather was worn through, and there were a bunch of seams that needed to be closed as quite a bit of the stitching had come undone. Oh, yes, and the lining had to be completely replaced as well. But Platon was a gentleman through and through and agreed to every single repair that I listed. I really didn't expect all that much, as I was not being charged for any of it, not even the return postage, but I thought that I might as well give it a shot.

Needless to say that when I received the jacket back, I was simply stunned at the craftsmanship and level of care that went into the restoration. It looks like a completely different jacket than when it left. I knew it had tremendous potential as the leather was in good shape (save for the collar), but to see sewing that matched the original stitch holes was incredibly impressive! I have never had any other restoration done nearly as well for me. And I did not pay a single cent for this platinum service! Although I know that because I was lucky enough to have an original that Platon was looking for that I was not charged, I would not have faulted him a single bit if the work had been one tenth as good as it turned out to be. It speaks loads about his character as well as the craftsmanship of the tailors who work at Bill Kelso. I will be waiting for one of his reproductions of this Werber for sure, but I am also considering using his services in copying some other very interesting original jackets as well. In any case, I have posted pictures of the Werber here for your viewing. I will conclude by saying that Platon and Bill Kelso have earned 5 gold stars by me. I can't thank them enough!

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

Collar.jpg

Lining.jpg

Collar2.jpg

Epaulette.jpg

Knits.jpg

Zipper.jpg

ZipperBox.jpg

PocketFlap.jpg

PocketCloseup.jpg

LeftPocket.jpg

LiningCollar.jpg

Vcruiser

Are you satisfied that the new collar is a close enough match colorwise to the rest of the jacket?

Roughwear

I can see why you are so pleased with the service and craftmanship of BK. Your Werber has been transformed! Although the replaced leather on the collar is not a perfect match colour-wise it has been done extremely well and overtime the colour may fade to the colour of the 1941 hh. All you need now George is a GW Werber label! ;)

Persimmon

Roughwear said:
I can see why you are so pleased with the service and craftmanship of BK. Your Werber has been transformed! Although the replaced leather on the collar is not a perfect match colour-wise it has been done extremely well and overtime the colour may fade to the colour of the 1941 hh. All you need now George is a GW Werber label! ;)

And beat the crap out of that collar to age it

Roughwear

I'm sure George would be reluctant to do this Alan. He could try to lighten the collar a little by applying a chemical to it to take off some of the top coat.

dmar836

But I wonder if, as Alan said, twisting and wringing the collar wouldn't help it develop some grain to better match? I think collars are often the parts that we are used to seeing a little off in color due to sweat, dirt, etc.
Nice restoration indeed!
Dave

Roughwear

Certainly a bit on manual handling on the collar would help, along with wetting the leather to help bring out the grain.

MikeyB-17

I think the collar is as good a match as can be expected bearing in mind you're replacing a collar with 70-odd years of patina. The new collar is probably not a million miles from the colour the jacket was when first issued-the rest of the jacket has lost some of its top coat and the yellowish leather is showing through. Give the collar a bit of wear and I think it'll look a lot better, provided of course the leather underneath is a similar colour to the original stuff. Looks like a cracking job-I was certainly pleased with the reknit they did on my old ELC.

A

Anonymous

There was also a 3/4 inch hole on the sleeve too that magically disappeared, (I doubt George can find where it was) and new collar hooks and collar snaps have been installed to replace the old.

The most interest thing, believe it or not, is that the oiriginal color of this jacket was seal brown (quite dark too).
It was found when removed the old ripped collar in order to replace it.

watchmanjimg

Shade differences in the collar aside this is tremendous work. The jacket has been completely resurrected! In any case I agree that the collar situation can be greatly improved with a bit of tweaking.

Kudos to BK for a job well done!

I simply produced the wish list of repair items, including the hole in the sleeve that is now magically disappeared. Little did I suspect that each and every one of the would be carried out to such perfection. In real life the collar looks amazing and I am sure it will settle in with wear and age as well. Thanks for the recommendations about the various techniques to accelerate the process. I may try them if I have the time. The neat thing is that the texture and weight of the replacement collar piece is practically identical to the original, which is what I found quite amazing. In fact, Platon was kind enough to send all the old components back, including the collar, which was really fascinating to see. I can't thank him enough! First class all the way, through and through. Bill Kelso is the real deal!

A

Anonymous

Thanks George,
It's a shame we didn't take any photos of the jacket pre repair (our omission) to compare with the final result.

Persimmon

PLATON said:
Thanks George,
It's a shame we didn't take any photos of the jacket pre repair (our omission) to compare with the final result.

Was thinking the same.
But well done for making it happen for George

You need to get those jackets out to market the demand is there.

Any sign of the RED Knits to make up and buy one of your "Aero" A2 jacket's that I have asked for yet ?

I'll have to look around to see if I have any of the pre-repair pictures of this jacket to post. I can't remember if I took any or not, but there is no doubt that it was a very different jacket to start with. I agree with Alan, we are certainly looking forward to future Bill Kelso products, especially after your leather sourcing trip to Italy!

A

Anonymous

Any sign of the RED Knits to make up and buy one of your "Aero" A2 jacket's that I have asked for yet ?

they're under construction, we'll receive them soon, will let you know

Phantomfixer

would love to see the pre pictures if any can be found. I think the restoration is very nice. The collar, maybe some water and working it in by hand...looks good.

How is a hole in leather repaired or was the sleeve replaced? Close to a seem? hmm

It seems to have been expertly repaired. It is definitely the original sleeve that I sent the jacket out with. I had asked for it to be glued in the laundry list of repairs, but I'm not sure what Platon & Co. did. Whatever was done, was done very well though! :D