• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso ARCO 18775

Showerfan

Just got my BK ARCO a solid 13 months after ordering it and on the plus side, it is an extremely high-quality piece. The leather has an amazingly soft hand, and at the same time the hide feels strong enough to deflect bullets. The cut is perfect for my body, the shoulders fit better than any I’ve ever had, the collar shows how it can be done right, the knits don’t feel like they are at risk of immediate disinterestion, and the stitching is top-notch. They did a couple of patches for me that I was not so sure about amd they turned out super nice. Honestly I am blown away on the quality and perceived wearability and durability of this jacket compared to my ELC RW. It feels perfect for the motorcycle.

Except for the fact that the sleeves are *at least* two inches too short, and that’s just standing still. When I reach for the keyboard at my desk, or if I were to grab the handlebars on my bike, these sleeves look like Capri pants for the arms. Even the body feels a bit short, though that could just be the pattern. But I have a sneaking feeling they never really looked at my measurements, just grabbed a 46 off the shelf and mailed it in.

I’ve already shot off a few messages to Andy, and I hope he gets back to me more quickly than he has in the past. I’d like to get this jacket into my rotation stat, especially now that I know how nice it really is.

BEBBE100-FB8D-49A4-9D09-12CB7B031998.jpeg

Brettafett

Yup, jackets are top notch! And yours look great.
Yes, imo, the sleeves are too short, and yes I do think they will shorten a touch more over time.
Question is, does it bother you enough to move it on and get another, or will you be able to be ok with that.
(I dont know, maybe if you do decide to move it on, Andy may try make a plan for you for another jacket. Just saying, never hurts to ask).

Im another who rates my BKs over my ELC. Just love mine to bits. Still toying with the idea of getting a russet. At this point Im in no rush, so 8 weeks, or 6 months... Im prepared.

mulceber

Good point about the sleeves, although I think it’s partly because you have the knits all scrunched up instead of letting them sit the way they’re supposed to. Still, might be worth sending back so they can replace the sleeves with longer ones.

Last edited:

Mr. Mike

Really great Jacket and it suits you well. Agreed the sleeves are on an edge case but both hand grabbing the handle bar of your motorcycle (presumably a Harley ;o)) is anyhow the most unfortunate position for an A-2 (actually if you want to ensure a great fit even in this position, a M422-a/G-1 is probably the only one to do it based on its specific design). BK states to stick to the sizing spec of the original makers and it could also be that they just had to make a call whether putting fit of your core body over sleeve length by taking the next size up or the other way round and it appears the opted for the latter.

You could also subsume it as the last piece of authenticity as the original issues have also not been tailor made for each flight officer. That's why you find zillions of different wearing styles and fits when looking at original period photos. Finally it only depends how it feels to you wearing it. So with a bullish grin you could also say "Look, this is how I had looked like 80 years ago on duty! BAM! BAM! BAM!.

13 month for shipment is a blow (given that BK still insists stating on their web page 12-14 weeks). And if they simply did not pay attention to the sizing you submitted to them then a question regarding their solution proposal is always a fair option to go for.

Interesting perspective to your ELC - from which year is your RW?

cheers

M.

Last edited:

Micawber

For a new jacket those sleeves look pretty creased already so I doubt they will ride up much more with normal wear. A quick fix would be to have fuel length cuff knits fitted, make sure you pull them down and be mindful that issue watches were a lot smaller back in the day. In my personal opinion the jacket looks just that bit too trim here and there - but you are inside it and say it's ok so best ignore my input in that respect ;)

B-Man2

Congrats on your new BK ...
It all comes down to “ how do you like it?”
There’s a lot of knowledgeable people here and they have a wealth of spot on information to share, so I’ll reserve offering any more suggestions and just ask how do you like it ? :)

Last edited:

Showerfan

Interesting perspective to your ELC - from which year is your RW?

My ELC is from just last year. Here are pics of both jackets (Eastman first), “side-by-side.” And I have the cuffs of the BK rolled down, with the sleeves pulled down a bit, as well:

30CFE672-326C-4A1A-BDBA-79BC395039C3.jpeg

718C42BF-450F-4FE4-A58F-7B75CB58CD96.jpeg

But the sleeves jump much higher with any significant movement, and I’ll bet they shrink up with decent wear.

Mr. Mike

Cool - it seems you're still in the office o_O. Thanks for sharing indeed! With a direct comparison it appears that one size more with the BK could have hit the nail better.
(And, if the ELC is from last year I understand your comment).

Showerfan

Congrats on your new BK ...
It all comestible down to “ how do you like it ?”
There’s a lot of knowledgeable people here and they have a wealth of spot on information to share, so I’ll reserve offering any more suggestions and just ask how do you like it ? :)
I do love it, as you can see. The fit is otherwise a dream, and the quality is pure luxury. But as someone with long arms, who has been for decades tormented by short sleeves that seem only to get shorter with time, that aspect would drive me nuts.

B-Man2

I do love it, as you can see. The fit is otherwise a dream, and the quality is pure luxury. But as someone with long arms, who has been for decades tormented by short sleeves that seem only to get shorter with time, that aspect would drive me nuts.
Well..... there you are. You’ve pretty much come to your own conclusion of what needs to be done .
NOW .... I don’t have any reservations about telling you that your new BK sleeves are too short and that you should probably get something done with them before it drives you nuts! ;)

blackrat2

Looks nice other than the sleeve length
I think if it’s playing with your mind now you’ll certainly not be happy in the future...wait for a reply from Andy and see if you can exchange it, the jacket is new so now is the time to return it