• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso 27752 arrived!

Greg Gale

As I'm typing this I'm wearing my new BK Rough Wear 27752, size 42. I think I found the holy grail. My Platon Dubow was very close to being one, but this is IT.

I never owned an original A-2, so I can only compare it to other makers. I hope that's OK with you.

The hide

The leather is a bit less thick and rigid than Platon's, and slightly more pliable and supple. It has beautiful character out of the box already. My ELC Star was even thinner and lighter. It's also matte like the Platon Dubow, but not as matte. Definitely not as shiny as an ELC, kind of in between, closer to Platon's. I like this one the best in all aspects.

The color

It is ever so slightly lighter than the Platon seal, and has a more reddish hue, but it's very hard to notice. Not as much reddish hue as my ELC fortunately. The ELC was darker than both. This one is like a very dark russet, which I absolutely love.

The knits

Great quality, sturdy, just like Platon's. Perfect rusty golden brown color, they are not as light and yellowish as you see on most pictures. I liked Platon's reddish knits too, but these are just as good. No preference from me and more accurate for the contract.

The collar

I always wanted an A-2 with a collar stand, I have a rather long neck, so these fit me well. The Dubow's pointy collar is extremely elegant, this is more 'plain' but the size and the stand make it look cool.
Speaking from experience an A-2s collar takes a long time to get in shape, and the way one wears it is a statement, so I'll leave it at that for now.

The fit

I ordered it with 1/2 inch added to both the back and the sleeves, so 25 1/2 both. It's spot on. It even has length to spare, so if I lose 1/2 inch from both, it will be fine. It's hard to compare because the Dubow has already molded to my shape, it fits like a glove. The Dubow's a bit on the short side in terms of back length though. The shoulders have the same measurements, but the Dubow's arm holes are larger, making it extremely comfortable to move. The RW fits snugger in the armpit (but not snug), but the wider back panel compensates for that. The most obvious difference between the 2 contracts is the belly area. There is a lot of room to spare inside the Dubow, the RW is a much more athletic - but still comfortable and roomy fit. It just suits my body shape better. My girlfriend immediately spotted this difference and stated her preference towards the RW. It will take some time to break in so that I can properly compare the two, but it's likely to be a winner. The Dubow is still the most comfortable A-2 I've ever worn, but this one suits me better.

The pictures

It's hard to take photos that show the real colors. Anyhow, I put it on top of the Dubow for comparison.

File_000.jpeg

The knits. It's weird that on every picture they look yellowish, even slightly greenish. In reality it's not the case at all. They're a perfect WWII mid brown color:

File_001.jpeg

You see that the BK is slightly more glossy:

File_002.jpeg

Beautiful character straight out of the box:

File_003.jpeg

Fit pics. I'm standing straight, no posing so that you can fully see the differences. The Dubow is a tad shorter, but it's wider in the belly. The RW is a completely rectangular shape. Wearing them one after the other the arm holes/ upper arm of the RW feel much tighter. The Dubow is by far the most comfortable, easy-wearing A-2 I've ever tried. Those guys in Chicago certainly knew their trade.

RW:
File_005.jpeg

Dubow:

File_004.jpeg

Bottom line is, there will probably be a size 42 Dubow for sale soon ;)

Last edited:

Brettafett

Great news Greg, looking forward to the pics.

Don't sell the Dubow.
Why not hold onto it as a second. Maybe patch it up or something?
Its different enough to the RW and such a great jacket for the price...

Greg Gale

Great news Greg, looking forward to the pics.

Don't sell the Dubow.
Why not hold onto it as a second. Maybe patch it up or something?
Its different enough to the RW and such a great jacket for the price...

Nah man, I have so many different jackets. I prefer to own less and wear them more. There's definitely only room for one A-2. It better make someone else happy rather than gather dust here.

Bombing IP

Those stamps are different from the ones on jackets I come to expect ,and the label does not say Roughwear?.

BIP

Smithy

Nah man, I have so many different jackets. I prefer to own less and wear them more. There's definitely only room for one A-2. It better make someone else happy rather than gather dust here.

I found that I'm so much happier now that I have decided not to buy any more but rather wear what I have - which is more than enough.

Looking forward to the pics when you post them Greg and I'm pleased that you finally seem to have found your ultimate A-2.