• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bets Wep repro

marco77

Can anyone tell me who made the best repro of Wep flight jacket used during Vietnam War ?
Thanks all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marco

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
marco77 said:
thanks for help Deeb , but I am looking for a cheapest version ;)

Well you said best. :)

I haven't seen either of the two you posted, but I guess I'd go for the G & B ... it the best looking picture, and I've heard of them.

75.jpg

CBI

believe it or not Avirex used to make an excellent repro of this jacket. In my former life I ordered boxes of these jackets for USN pilots at Miramar NAS who wanted this style of flight jacket. They all removed the tags so they would not get caught with "non-regulation issue" jackets. At that time few of the fight pilots liked the then new nomex jackets.

Wow - almost 30 years ago! :eek:

Maverickson

Last year I purchased a G & B Wep. Over all I am very pleased with the jacket. However, as far as I can tell this G & B Wep jacket differs two fold from the original. These jackets have a longer body than the original version and that equates to about 2.5" of additional length to the body. In my opinion, this added body length greatly increases the jacket's overall comfort. At this point I would like to add that I am not a smoker however, the cigarette pocket on the G & B upper sleeve of their Wep reproduction jacket is in fact slightly smaller than the original. Not to mention this pocket is so small I am not sure that this sleeve pocket is large enough to accept a pack of cigarettes at all! The original Wep did in fact have a 4" sleeve pocket & flap. It may seem trivial but as a matter of fact this short coming becomes a significant design flaw. This flaw becomes apparent when considering adding patches to this G & B jacket.

The original Wep jacket's 4" cigarette pocket flap had specifically designed pocket patches. An example of one of those patches designed for this sleeve pocket can be seen below. While the A-4 Skyhawk was operational those drivers developed a patch which looks like this.

A-4CigarettePocketPatch-1.jpg

However, the G & Bs cigarette pocket patch flap is not large enough to accept this original A-4 patch on to the exact spot for which it was specifically designed. Just something to consider!

Dave

dilbert

Any idea about the U S Wings repro? How does the Cockpit jacket compare to the Spiewack?

I ask as I recently bought a WEP from Gibson & Barnes. I was torn between the Wings and G&B, deciding on G&B because of the quality of their leather jackets (I have one) and decided they would be the better choice. I do like the look of the photo at US Wings, but as I recall the manufacturer is never identified. I am really happy with my G&B. I'm just curious how the jacket US Wings is now selling compares to the photo.

Thanks!

Gunfighter_Fr

Hi all,
Glad to be back on the forum! These times I am working on the USN during Vietnam for a comics book project. So after my research work about equipement I am tempted to buy a USN WEP jacket. What do you think about this european vendor ?

https://www.original-fliegerjacken.de/d ... en_web.php
https://www.original-fliegerjacken.de/d ... findex=546 seems to be a Cooper. Good brand ?
The texture seems to be different from the original ones .

Thanks for the link "planecrazyent"! The choices of patches is awsome! Now I have to look to see if it possible to build a good USN F-4's pilot jacket! If anyone have pictures of such jackets you are welcome!

Julien

Willy McCoy

tcwu said:
Z2202.jpg

The pictured one pencil slot is on the wrong side.
I just pulled out my C (WEP) and noticed there is no pencil slot. They are nice jackets for sure and great if you have long arms. The nylon shell on these jackets is not as tough as the nylon that was used in USAF jackets. I figure that the reason for this was because they were originally designed as a suit liner from what I can gather. I forgot I had this one.

Willy McCoy

tcwu said:
I sold mine maybe a year ago!
Nice jacket but the regular BR repro is better!

camo's shell is like paper thin!
Like I says, Mil. issue WEP shells are flimsy compared to their USAF counterpart. But a nylon collection is always a welcome home for such cool jackets. Just wear something else if you want to go Blackberry pickin'.

USMC_GAU-21

Hi Guys!

Great discussion on the WEP jacket. Like some of you have already said it is a short jacket. That is because it was supposed to be used under a protective suit as a liner. That;s why the button tethers on the inside of the jacket, as they buttoned to the WEP pants. The whole thing was a "winter system" to be worn with the protective suit.

Now, I would say the Buzz and G&B are about the best out there right now. But I have also worn a Spiewak Repro, and it is also very very nice WEP.

I have a couple of different original WEP's and will post a pic tonight.

r/Gy Dan

Willy McCoy

If you do order one from G&B you might want to make it a custom order. There is no pencil slot on a WEP jacket and the shell nylon on the originals is really an Achilles heel. Send them a zipper along with your measurements. I have never been a Gripper Zipper guy. The male end that inserts into the female base has a tendency to bend and become worthless. I would order a #5 zipper from Mash Co. Japan. Maybe a Talon. Mash Co. Japan has excellent DuPont twill nylon material as well. It would still work out to be less expensive than the Buzz Rickson offering and be as durable as an L-2B, not to mention that it would be a custom jacket.

atkins

Or you can watch evil bay sometimes very wearable original shows up. I think the last good one i watch is sold for $150-ish.

Tim P

ralph lauren do a peach of a wep. oversized by a mile though. check ebay for them as they are not current.

Willy McCoy

I just found another WEP jacket in my closet. This one has a white cotton lining and is about the same as my green lined one. Needs new cuffs though.