• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best B-3?

stanier

I've wanted a B-3 for a few years now, and having come very close never actually got one.

Well, the last couple of British winters and talk in the pub(!) which last night predicted a very cold forthcoming winter has me teetering closer to an order.

The ELC Redskin was what I was leaning towards, but some research on here this weekend has left me wondering if it's the best choice.

So, who makes the most accurate B-3 gents, and how are the new broken grain, Crown zippered ELC Redskins holding up?

Cheers

John Lever

Difficult one really...
I would say go for an Eastman or RMNZ, both make very high quality jackets. Eastman are more innovative with several choices of finish and colour on offer, but RM make very solid beautifully made jackets. The only down side is the relatively high cost coupled with import duties.
The current broken grain RW looks outstanding. Noel has one and from the photos it looks superb.
I have had Crown zips and I don't like them at all.

Tim P

The problem with Eastman shearling at the moment its its spongy looking matte finish. McCoys may be dearer but they have the edge until Eastman offer a nicer looking finish in my opinion. my b3 is a mccoys and I love it :) , my b6 is an eastmen and I love that too but it was the last of their sheeny finish batch I think.

Roughwear

I prefer some of the older ELC B-3s with Talon Zippers. The Crown zip was only rarely used on Rough Wear B-3s. There is nothing wrong with one of Eastman's repro Talons IMO as they tend to be more durable than the Crowns.

I LOVE my Eastman Roughwear Redskin B-3 as well. It's a few years old with a Talon zip, but it's wonderful. I don't know if the sheepskin or horsehide has changed since (I just saw one end yesterday on Ebay in the same size 42 that I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1154). The proportions seem a little different than the one that I have, but the sheepskin seems the same. It did well keeping me warm down at around 0 deg F, with just a T-shirt on underneath, so that's pretty impressive.

Falcon_52

I just pulled my Eastman RW B-3 out of the bottom of the closet this morning to walk the dog since it is cold and rainy here today. It was almost like opening the box for the first time - I started getting the hot flashes! :) I love this jacket but the Crown zip is a bit disappointing as John Lever mentioned earlier. You just need to be careful when zipping the jacket - all in all it's a superb jacket, though.

Noel

stanier

Hi John, in an ELC I'd probably order a 42, so in RMNZ from what I read that would make me a 44?

Anyway, thanks for all your replies gents. What's the problem with the Crown zip? I have an ELC D-1 with a Crown and it seems fine. I've kind of assumed they're the BR Crown that ELC uses? Is it just that they shoudn't be on a RW B-3 or a problem with the zips themselves?

Do RMNZ make Redskin? This is the B-3 that particularly appeals to me

Cheers

hairpin151

My 2 cents are for the RMNZ jacket.I've got a size 48 RW two tone and I think its in a class all its own,on top.I had one of Stu's Dubow B-3's a few years back.Beautifully made but like a tank.It was almost like a straight jacket.I dont think I would live long enough to have broke that beast in!

stanier

Thanks for all the info gents.

Looks like the steer is towards RMNZ. Looking at the RMNZ website and doing a quick currency conversion their B-3 would cost me about £980 plus whatever customs import duties plus VAT add on. (Doesn't the Commonwealth have some kind of trading relationship between countries?!)

The ELC is £599, so is the £380 plus difference on the RMNZ worth it? Happy to pay, but I want it to be spot in for that.

I've been struffling to get much deatil from the RMNZ website, which seems high level. Is their B-3 a RW repro? What sort of details does it have; chain hanger etc?

Thanks again for all the help

Cheers

stanier

Thanks John, anyone with an as new RMNZ B-3 for sale? ;)

Just a q on sizing am I right to believe that an RMNZ size 44 would equate to a 42 ELC, I'm particularly concerned about length of jacket and arms as minus the football under my shirt :oops: I'm more a 40 than a 42, i.e I don't want a jacket that's too long.

Sorry for all the q's

Cheers

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
stanier said:
Doesn't the Commonwealth have some kind of trading relationship between countries?

... and then the UK decided that it would rather play with Europe. :)

Is their B-3 a RW repro? ... yes, Rough Wear.

am I right to believe that an RMNZ size 44 would equate to a 42 ELC? ... I can't help much with comparisons. I seem to be a 40 ELC, my RMNZ A-2's are 42, and my D-1 from RMNZ/Few is a Medium.

Paddy will be more help if you email. Sometimes she will have a B-3 on her 'sale page', or if they make one, the sleeve length will be whatever you ask for.