• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belstaff and Emilia stuff

joeson

The new Belstaff stuff is poorly put together,in my opinion.I can't see one of their new jackets standing the test of time as well as the originals have.Maybe thats why the vintage Belstaffs still command such a high price.

wop54

Peter Graham said:
I think that guy has posted here a few times. Check out the woman on the Gilera. Wow !
Talking about beauties from the past, in that field, we like better the repros than the originals :D Carlo

wop54

joeson said:
The new Belstaff stuff is poorly put together,in my opinion.I can't see one of their new jackets standing the test of time as well as the originals have.Maybe thats why the vintage Belstaffs still command such a high price.
Belstaff has been recently acquired by the italian (despite its name) Clothing Co. Belstaff nowadays is a fashion brand more than a tech brand for bikers...that's probably why the overall quality dropped a bit! Carlo

himelator

Belstaff is completely a fashion line, however due to their close relationship with hollywood they get a lot of pr doing bad fake vintage jackets

himelator

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/ ... o-italian/

So his a little bit of the history, hmmm carlo do you work for belstaff? Anyway..like many things the best intentions lead to strange places. Brand has become more important than product. People have lost their perspectives, and fashion, attending parties and celebrity often outweigh quality, usability, ethics morality environmentalism...so in the end while the company itself draws in gigs doing movies the jackets are more show than content. Partly by choice, partly lack of knowledge but to a big part remember film looks are made by the costumers and designers not the company selling its product in the movie. So...this often leads to conflict and aesthetic differences between the filmmakers and the company trying to sell its product.

I worked on Ameila and work in vintage leather and design

wop54

himelator said:
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/10/14/belstaff-motorcycle-jackets-are-just-so-italian/

So his a little bit of the history, hmmm carlo do you work for belstaff?
No, I don't. I work for a pharmaceutical company. I just heard of that acquisition. Cheers, Carlo

fleet16b

Peter Graham said:
I think that guy has posted here a few times. Check out the woman on the Gilera. Wow !

Hi , that guy was me

I contracted to worked on the Amelia movie as the Airplane Wrangler ,Canadian Aerial Coordinater,Aviation Tech Advisor and one of the flying doubles for Hilary Swank.
As a result, the company hired Belstaff to reproduce two copies of Amelia Earharts mid thigh length flying jacket. One for Hilary and one for me.
IMHO, Belstaff did a great job of authentically reproducing the jacket. The quality is as good as any flying jacket I have seen.( I currently fly in an ELC 1401 roughwear).
At present the jacket is part of my aviation collection but once the movie is out( Oct23/09) I may offer it for sale.

fleet16b

LOL......well I can't say that I compare to Hilary normally but she did have her looks toned down to play A.E.
We really wanted to have her simulate the flying scenes from the second cockpit of the biplanes however the Prod Co felt it was an insurance nightmare.
She did get up with me twice just to get an idea of flying vintage a/c. ( she has approx 20hrs dual).Right from the start of the flight , it was apparent that she had had some very good professional instruction. When I let her try flying my biplane she did quite well.
Myself and a couple of pilots I hired did the flying scenes
With a helmet and googles on, you really would not be able to tell however what they are going to do is using CGI cut our faces out and replaced them with hers.
Although there where the scenes where my Lockheed pilot had to do take off and landing close ups wearing a womans blouse ,scarf , blonde wig and make up.
Man we took lots of pics of him and razzed him for days :lol:

Andrew

Great stuff, thanks for the fill in. Fleet I think that officially being allowed to pretend to be Ms Swank probably qualifies you as the most famous person on the Forum then :D

fleet16b

:lol: :lol:

Thanks Leadsky....wish my pay for the movie equalled hers :mrgreen:
I do have a very small cameo flipping the prop on a D.H. Gypsy Moth ........ we'll see if I survives the cutting room floor.
Wish I could post some behind the scenes pics from the set but I am tied to a contractual agreement not to release images until the movie is out.
Once it is , I will post for everyone.

himelator

Point of confusion, you worked as arial coordinator and as a result Belstaff was hired? Which part of your job involved hiring Belstaff in costume design? Just a question.

Vcruiser

himelator said:
Point of confusion, you worked as arial coordinator and as a result Belstaff was hired? Which part of your job involved hiring Belstaff in costume design? Just a question.

You worked on Amelia as well. In what capacity?
Did you and fleet16b get a chance to meet?

himelator

I consulted with the design and costume people who contacted me after they had issues with many of the jackets they were provided. Many of the jackets had to be remade by the costume department and many were rented. I dont really want to go into the details in a public forum, I will be curious to see how the movie worked out and what was used. I will certainly post about it on my blog after the release. Im not trying to piss anybody off, I just know from working with set, costumer and other keys as a consultant that when people want a look of authenticity they often dont get what they need. It is a process which is collaborative and is not always what it appears to be. A lot of companies have it in their interest to make claims that are not always what they appear. I will just leave it at that.

fleet16b

himelator said:

I was not involved in the decision to hire Belstaff.
What I did do was advise the wardrobe Dept with regards the aviation clothing. ( Everything from provide example to copy to finding sources)
In fact I did inform them about the Goodwear products, especially when they were looking to re create A.E 's leather jacket.
As far as I know they took all the options and ended up with Belstaff.
Apparently they are most commonly used by the movie industry.

You statd that you also worked on the movie. Which sets and loactions were you on ?......do we know each other ?

joeson

Imho,any film company that uses Belstaff to recreate vintage style is not taking the project seriously.Belstaff is now purely a fashion brand.It is obvious from the quality of the products they produce that they have no concern for quality.The styles tend to be poor imitations of the originals,or bear no resemblance at all.
This whole movie thing smacks of marketing and product placement.