• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

been busy today....

better duck

Yeh, please enlighten us: what did you do: paint this beauty? If so, great stuff man! Where did you take your example from, why choose this one (not that I can't think of a reason or two), what's next in lin: we want to know it all!

Tim P

not my choice. I am loosely affiliated to Ranger reenactments here in the UK who, as a fairly frequent sideline (and an expensive one) display as flight crew most notably perhaps at Duford. In this capacity I tag along.
Due to a close tie with a George B in the Ohio region who is very active with 91st Big Dave, our head honcho decided during one of those late night camp fire speakeasy sessions that as our reputation as a 'crew' was growing we should strive for a specific identity to augment our generic one and, having pored over ray bowdens book about 91st nose art decided that as 'little patches' had been good to every crew to have flown in her it would be a good choice.
now I am not 100% confident with my abilities so it was a real lip biter when I set about applying tubes of acrylic to a goodwear 527753. :eek: but I had resolved that this was the one. Knowing my limitations I am aware that work of the quality that Jerome turns out is beyond me so I thought well, as A-2 artwork of the period ranges from gallery quality to appaling I thought, whatever I can turn out will be in the bracket.
I proportioned the figure by eye and blocked in the flesh and the white of the dress. I then abandoned it for a while. I needed to use V dark brown paint to remedy fat legs but once I got going I was fine. tube acrylic is a great choice for me because it blends like oil paint but dries in a few minutes. leaving the face and head til last I finished off using thinned down paints and a super fine brush. To lend definition against the jacket I did my trademark thing of a primary and then opposite light source so that the figure is pale against the edges. this is easy in this case as it remains true to the actual artwork.
As you see the jacket the lettering needs another coat and she needs some pampering to bring out detail but too much at it blinds me to the detail so with fresh eyes I will forge on.
finished it will sport a 401 BS patch and MAY have 4 rows of 5 bombs. What do you reckon?

Andrew

From this range it looks great and very accomplished, so well done. If I were making up a jacket for the same purposes (your crew) I'd go the whole hog as you suggest. I'd like to see some other closeups if you get a chance.