• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATTLE OF BRITAIN GET UPS - So far...

ausreenactor

Gents...

Had a day off work today, so took the time to get out the kit..

Threw on the two works in progress. Have to secure a Knight's Cross and ribbon for the
Luftwaffe get up. Just bought one of the repro Schwimmweste's from eBay. $255 plus
airmail but will top it off nicely. Have a IC First Class and Pilots badges but not sure if I
should whack those pins through or sew on some loops(wife sew on some loops).

LuftwaffeGetup.jpg

RAF just shy of a wing. Have secured a set of six FLT SGT crowns. It is a snug fit with both
the Irvin and the BD jacket. Just the 'Frock' and the Irvin is perfect. Have the white hose, but
think the blousing is fine as is. Had to take around 5 inches off the bottom of the trousers. I
am contemplating a RAF Enlisted Service Dress jacket as well, using the duds as they are.

RAFGetup.jpg

Any input greatly appreciated..

Couchy

ausreenactor

John...

Hmmm Yes. It is an ELC. Made with an original Dot zipper and Hanging chain from a junker. I bought
it here in Australia for a song. AU$500. Could have had it for as low as AU$350 with a bid...but not sure
how it would have gone. Size 40. I lurve it. Along with my ELC House Vintage Russet, ELC 27752 with Murder Inc,
BR RW A-2 and BR 37J1 this is now a never sell item. The remainder of the repro kit has been picked up cheaply.
Now our dollar is topping the US$0.70 mark I think it is really time to start buying again.

Couchy

dujardin

thanksssssssssssss

great idea you realised.
it must be good to see other member presenting their collection by themself.
byeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Andrew

Who was the poor RAF sod you pinched those boots off you Nat-zi bastard!! Couchy, it's a funny thing but you can probably find a real pair of LW boots in your size on Ebay. I had a pair a few years ago and they seem to come up fairly regularly and don't cost as much as real '36ers. This is a shot of mine now long gone. They had suede tops.
IMG_9459s.jpg

Your Erk impression looks good though, tilt your side cap a bit and you'll look like this guy on the right. The seaboot socks poking out the tops of the boots would also be a good look though too...

Irvins.jpg

Maybe it's better just to get a light blue shirt and black tie or polka dot spotty scarf to wear with the BD and Irvin instead so you don't melt.

ausreenactor

Andrew...

I agree with the shirt and tie. I think you would need to be below freezing not to melt. I have seen some Luftwaffe
boots on eBay. Fetch a hefty price. As you said, I will run with a "liberated" pair. I think the poor sod's name was
Amanda at Aero. It is getting there. Lots spent for the Oakey Fly In Oct 9th...I am going to hang laps all day in
different get ups..

Regards..

Couchy

Andrew

ausreenactor said:
Lots spent for the Oakey Fly In Oct 9th...I am going to hang laps all day in
different get ups..

Trev i'd love to get to that but it's pushing the distance just a bit too much for me. Oct, what a shame they couldn't do it in July or August to get a chance of some cooler weather.

Are you involved in the Spitfire re-build at all or ever get to see it? How many was it they scrapped there in 1946- 200+ I think... Makes me sick to think about it.

Steve27752

Excellent idea to represent both sides. If the lining of the boots is too white you can darken it down using tea bags.

ausreenactor

Gents...

The boots are breaking in nicely. Starting to tunnel a bit. And my god are they comfy. They are like moccasins with a firm calf support! Would have been ideal as a flying boot and not just for impressions!! And promoted myself to FLT SGT. Will make up my mind as to the wing and commit shortly...with more pics of course...and a tilted RAAF side cap (good tip Andrew)!!

jocko417

Great gear! One thing to keep in mind, if this is indeed meant to be a Battle of Britain 'get up', you should get that service dress uniform for under the Irvin. The RAF Battledress style uniform wasn't introduced until 1941, the SD would have been worn instead. If you decide to go RAAF the uniforms were a darker blue than RAF, I know Pegasus makes great RAAF BD unifoms:

http://www.pegasusmilitaria.com/index_fichiers/raaf.htm

ausreenactor

G'day..

Was purely capitalising on the sale prices from WPG. Pegasus remarket stuff made in India...The RAAF stuff would be good, but the price at the time, was too good. Thinking of Service Dress Jacket @$75...

Couchy