• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Badging a B-15C

A

Anonymous

IF I were interested in putting a couple of badges on my BR B-15C (blue nylon), does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be suitable and look good ? I know I need to trawl a few websites (including this one) but thought asking might produce a few more ideas.

Cheers,
Dave

Atticus

Hi Dave,

A few years ago I was interested in patching my B-15C. Hacker told me I looked like a mall security guard when I was wearing it, so I was trying to make it look more like an Air Force jacket than something a rent-a-cop would own.

What I found was that very few original B-15Cs were patched---at least that was the impression I got from the old photos I saw. I guess patching runs in cycles in the Air Force and in the early fifties it was at an ebb. You can see some nicely patched L-2As from that era, but I was never able to find many patched B-15Cs.

But here are a few blue jacket photos I've collected. The third photo down shows the only patched B-15C I was able to find.

Pict0026-1.jpg

anastos.jpg

laberge.jpg

HLP_001.jpg

139-3z14p-1.jpg

AF

Swing

I've got this patch if you're interested:

154thFBS.jpg

Arkansas ANG unit flying F-84s in Korea in late '51 to early '52. It is a Buzz patch from several years ago. It is fairly light, and a little small. It's embriodered onto thin felt. I found it, and this patch on ebay. Can't remember the dealers name... Ihavethegift or something like that. Had a bunch of Buzz patches from five or six years ago.

41stFIS.jpg

~Swing

A

Anonymous

Those are great nylon photos. Thanks for posting them. I've had a look through the jacket books I've got and I have a few ideas although it is true that the blue nylons don't seem to have been that heavily patched. Seems a squadron patch and name tape were about it. Not that I'd wear wings or rank as I didn't earn them.

I'll scan a few of the photos at the weekend and see if anyone can help me with those patches that might be period correct.

Thanks for the offer of the patch Swing. Have you the size please and what you're looking for for it ?

Cheers,
Dave

Swing

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Thanks for the offer of the patch Swing. Have you the size please and what you're looking for for it ?

That is the alternate patch for the 154th FBS. They were an ANG unit flying F-51Ds in Little Rock AR before being called up for Korea in 1951. Flew F-84s in Korea.

Patch measure 4 1/2" at the circle, 5 1/2" from the Indian's nose to the tip of the feathers. I can't remember what I paid for the patch, but it wasn't much. I can't see it being worth more than $20. PM me if you're interested.

~Swing

Weasel_Loader

Geoff was right on target about patching B-15Cs. Unlike the L-2A, the B-15C did not get patched as often. One theory I've come up with on my own is that the un-modded B-15s were not well received by aircrew, especially fighter pilots because of the mouton interfering with the newer hard shell helmets. I see more photos of non-aircrew wearing B-15Cs than I do of pilots wearing them. I think once aircrew started to show a preference to the lighter L-2A, the supply system started issuing the overstock B-15C jackets to maintenance and other non aircrew, hence little patching as most maintenance personnel did not patch jackets.

That being said, I do think the thin black leather tape with silver lettering was popular on the B-15C and L-2A jackets. I know Buzz Rickson often sells these jackets with the name tapes in white cloth, but I can't ever remember seeing a period photo of such a jacket. I might be wrong on this though.

My Buzz B-15C has become BY FAR my favorite jacket that I own. I got to wear it all day outside in the driving snowstorm we had while loading bombs on a B-52 here at Edwards AFB. Couldn't have had a better jacket to wear!!! Wish I could have taken photos. :roll:

A

Anonymous

David - I'm going for it !

Weasel, I think you're right on themoney there with your opinion. I also wonder if the cold weather clothing was stored and issued as required so that one jacket might get issued out to a number of people and so personalisation wasn't an option ? Generally, whislt I was in the Army, the temperate kit got issued to you personally but the hot or cold weather kit was issued in theatre and returned for re-issue to the next mob who came in as we left. Just a thought. Obviously senior officers can get around this !

Dave

Weasel_Loader

JACKET_ HEAD said:
David - I'm going for it !

Weasel, I think you're right on themoney there with your opinion. I also wonder if the cold weather clothing was stored and issued as required so that one jacket might get issued out to a number of people and so personalisation wasn't an option ? Generally, whislt I was in the Army, the temperate kit got issued to you personally but the hot or cold weather kit was issued in theatre and returned for re-issue to the next mob who came in as we left. Just a thought. Obviously senior officers can get around this !

Dave

Dave,

That could have very well been true back then as it is now. I too was supposed to give up my N-3B when I left Germany (they never asked for it back). Most of this gear like I was issued in the Air Force was dry cleaned and reissued. The bad stuff was thrown out or sold off to DRMO or Dr. MO. ;)

Swing

Weasel_Loader said:
Geoff was right on target about patching B-15Cs. Unlike the L-2A, the B-15C did not get patched as often. One theory I've come up with on my own is that the un-modded B-15s were not well received by aircrew, especially fighter pilots because of the mouton interfering with the newer hard shell helmets.

The Osprey Frontline Colour series has quite a few pre and post mission photos of F-80 and F-84 pilots wearing B-15As and B-15Cs (and N2s!), and it's very common to see 9th FBS pilots wearing their squadron patch on their B-15s. I think it all depends on the unit and the era as to what was being worn and whether it was decorated or not. It appears that during 1952 the Poopie Suit pretty much replaced all the prior flight gear as the winter flight wear for fighter pilots. Before that you're going to see a lot of variety in flight gear and a suprisingly high number of B-15As amoung all units. Kinda wish my ELC B-15 was an A model since the As got so much more use in Korea than the B-15 did during WWII.

~Swing

Maverickson

Swing said:
I've got this patch if you're interested:

154thFBS.jpg

Arkansas ANG unit flying F-84s in Korea in late '51 to early '52. It is a Buzz patch from several years ago. It is fairly light, and a little small. It's embriodered onto thin felt. I found it, and this patch on ebay. Can't remember the dealers name... Ihavethegift or something like that. Had a bunch of Buzz patches from five or six years ago.

41stFIS.jpg

~Swing

Hi Swing,

As related to your saw blade patch theme and just for the sake of a bit of inter service rivalry, I just found a Navy gaggle patch that dates the Korean War. What I find Interesting as some how, could it be that both services were into saw blades at that time or could your blade patch be really a USN item :? !

OldPattches3109605202_3e01566c6c_o.jpg

Thanks, Dave

Swing

41st FIS, the Flying Buzzsaws.

http://www.tacpatches.com/FIS-2-71.htm

IIRC, the design pre-dates WWII. The 41st was part of the first Group to fly P-39s and was sent to the Pacific early in '42. Flew F-80s in defense of Japan during the Korea War, F-86Ds after the war.

I've got that patch on an L2. Buzz originally offered it on an OD B-15C(mod) several years ago, and I was quite pleased when I found a loose one to put on my L2.

~Swing

A

Anonymous

Thanks to Swing for the patch. It looks great. Top bloke !!!!

Once I've found a seamstress whom I trust enough to do a good job of putting it on the jacket, I'll be showing her off.

Dave :ugeek:

A

Anonymous

Merci bien Marcel. Tres interessante. Je vais les voire a bientot.

Dave :ugeek: