• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad description - ever tried to return something?

Lignemaginot

For the first time (I think), I really feel like I've been truly mislead in an auction description... and I don't really feel like letting it go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

As you can see, it says, "All items are in Good to Very Good condition." So imagine my surprise when I received the box today, and the visor on the cap is held on by two threads, evidently falling off, and the water bottle is so corroded that a) it won't open, and b) it has a hole in it.

I also paid $20 for shipping that actually cost $10.50 and some grocery bags in a used box.

Am I just being grumpy, or does this deserve some follow through?

Clive

Roughwear

No you are not grumpy Clive. The seller's description was very brief and clearly avoided the defects. I hate when you get ripped off with the postage. I would contact the seller and explain the problem. With Paypal protection you should not lose out if the seller does not cooperate and refuses to issue a refund.

Lignemaginot

Well, I went ahead and emailed the seller - tried to be polite by not being accusatory. We'll see what happens. Fact is, he knew the cap was a 7 1/8th because of the tag on the underside of the sweatband, so he would have had to go digging around in there and fumbling with the visor. As for the waterbottle, his photo shows the thing fully pulled from the cup, which when I pulled it out, showered me with aluminium oxide....

I'm not sure what I want him to do. The fairest result would be for me to return it all and for him to pay all postage costs, both ways (in addition to refunding my purchase price, of course). Somehow, I don't feel that I'm going to receive that... in which case, if I ship it back, we're both out some postage... which as far as I'm concerned means that the guy deserves negative feedback. What if offers to refund some of my purchase price? Then I'd feel like I'm strong-arming him to chisel him down a few bucks. Frankly, given the fact that the cap is the only thing of real value, and it would take a lot of effort to re-attach the visor, I don't think that this stuff is worth more than $50.

I hate it when people do this.

hacker

tcwu said:
you should ask more information before you bid on it!

Like what? :roll: Maybe "Is it really in good shape, or are you just jackin' me?.....or "BTW, is the water bottle totally trashed?"......come on now, the seller said good to very good condition, cap won't come off from corrosion, plus rotted to the point of having a hole in it!. I'd say the seller needs to make good and unwind the deal.

Hacker