• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B6 or B3?????

buzzthetower

Administrator
asiamiles said:
buzzthetower said:
Gents,

I have an Arnoff B-6 original that has a Conmar zipper.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/B6_Arnoff/

Nice to see a B-6 with strap adjusters at the waist rather than those (to me) unsightly zips. Did any makers other than Arnoff use straps?

These side adjusters are seen only on the last Aero B-6 contract, the Poughkeepsie, and then Arnoff contracts, and those last two are towards the end run of B-6 production. The Aero B-6 contract is the same as their B-3 contract number, and on those B-3s, they have identical small straps, and a reduced leather profile of the sleeve trim.

The zippers on all the early Aero B-6 contracts are by far the most abundantly seen, and the contract with straps are a little harder to find. The zippers are much easier to operate. Straps must have the jacket removed to adjust.

The photograph shown is definitely a B-3. The details point to B-3 construction, the zipper is exposed (an M-445 would have a folded leather placket visible over the zipper), and that type of Conmar zipper would have been seen on B-3 jackets, but not Navy jackets. The Navy used Talon zippers for earlier WWII jackets, and the late war jackets had blackened Conmars with a different pull tab shape. Anything is possible, but it's highly unlikely to see this type of Conmar on a Navy jacket.

John

a2jacketpatches

Well......well.....what the hell do you know about leather jackets????? (as I quickly wipe my runny nose) :lol:

Thanks for the positive ID, must be an AAF Flight Helmet very similar to the Navy one I found. Or even a studio photo where they dress in a mixture of available props. Looks like a studio and who wears their issued full flight gear for that?

airfrogusmc

buzzthetower said:
asiamiles said:
buzzthetower said:
Gents,

I have an Arnoff B-6 original that has a Conmar zipper.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/B6_Arnoff/

Nice to see a B-6 with strap adjusters at the waist rather than those (to me) unsightly zips. Did any makers other than Arnoff use straps?

These side adjusters are seen only on the last Aero B-6 contract, the Poughkeepsie, and then Arnoff contracts, and those last two are towards the end run of B-6 production. The Aero B-6 contract is the same as their B-3 contract number, and on those B-3s, they have identical small straps, and a reduced leather profile of the sleeve trim.

The zippers on all the early Aero B-6 contracts are by far the most abundantly seen, and the contract with straps are a little harder to find. The zippers are much easier to operate. Straps must have the jacket removed to adjust.

The photograph shown is definitely a B-3. The details point to B-3 construction, the zipper is exposed (an M-445 would have a folded leather placket visible over the zipper), and that type of Conmar zipper would have been seen on B-3 jackets, but not Navy jackets. The Navy used Talon zippers for earlier WWII jackets, and the late war jackets had blackened Conmars with a different pull tab shape. Anything is possible, but it's highly unlikely to see this type of Conmar on a Navy jacket.

John

Looks like I would have lost the bet LoL. I knew it wasn't a B6 Thanks John for setting things straight.