• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B3 vs B6 vs Irvin

FlyingYankee

Thinking of moving to Maine and would like to purchase a good cold weather jacket. For everyday use and chores outside what would you choose what jacket would you choose for cold weather?

flyboy

Which do you think? :D

Irvindecember12vers2_zps5d40288b.jpg

By far the most classic, the most stylish - The Irvin!

a2jacketpatches

FlyingYankee said:
Okay In mean chores in the sense of taking the dog out, getting a few sticks of wood. Not real work.
How far up? I was in Caribou / Limestone / Loring AFB as north as you can go. Issued an N3B parka, the pants, mittens, mucks, and everything else you could squeeze into and still froze my azz off.

Peter Graham

I'd say a D-1 would be the most practical sheepskin for everyday wear, one of the contracts with pockets, that is. I've had Irvin's, a B-6, a B-3, an M-445 and a couple of D-1's, one with and one without pockets. The cut of the jacket is great for doing stuff in. After all, they are a mechanics jacket.

FlyingYankee

D-1 it is. I just missed the Sale GW. But I will pay for a new one as it is a once in a lifetime purchase. The Aero Redskin look nice also.

Otter

For what its worth I find my Irvin warmer than the B-3 I have. It has longer fleece rather shan short shearling, with a closer fit around the hem due to the belt rather than the side adjusters. I can usualy wear the B-3 at anywhere below 5 degrees, but find it realy has to be sub zero for the Irvin otherwise I overheat. Try looking at the ANJ-4 if you want somthing a little different.