• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B3 Roughwear Redskin photos

m444uk

Here's a jacket I used to own, it's the early type with triangular side gussets rather than side panels;

0037.jpg

0028.jpg

0017.jpg

0013.jpg

0018.jpg

0020.jpg

0024.jpg

For comparison here's an early redskin Aero I used to own;

0030.jpg

Has anyone got some pics of a Mccoy redskin ?

PS. more redskin pics here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2914&p=29380#p29380

adam

John Lever

I remember seeing those photos on the front of a BMW a few years ago as part of an ebay auction. It's a beautiful jacket similar in finish to Andrew's [Roughwear]
I have some leather samples from RM/The Few. The colours of the HLB and Special brown Roughwear are very similar. The main differences being the yellow or beige wool colour.

Peter Graham

That original B-3 is a beauty. Why did you sell it ? I remember the Nazi cat avatar from a previous incarnation of this forum. What was your name then ?

m444uk

Peter Graham said:
That original B-3 is a beauty. Why did you sell it ? I remember the Nazi cat avatar from a previous incarnation of this forum. What was your name then ?

To small, I'm a size 46" vintage man these days !
Er... my names always been adam and the cat Fritz.
Thinking back to my first post in circa 2000 on previous jacket forums my handle was Sunshinebomb (napalm) then Hpalapdog in homage to Charles at HPA, the Worlds greatest self proclaimed vintage jacket "expert" :roll:
John's got a good memory, the blue car in question is my old 1987 525i which I scrapped 3 years ago due to extensive corrosion on the sills and jacking points.

adam

m444uk

John Lever said:
I remember seeing those photos on the front of a BMW a few years ago as part of an ebay auction. It's a beautiful jacket similar in finish to Andrew's [Roughwear]
I have some leather samples from RM/The Few. The colours of the HLB and Special brown Roughwear are very similar. The main differences being the yellow or beige wool colour.

John, do Mccoy ship the HLB to the UK or is it only a high price Japanese model ?

adam

John Lever

m444uk said:
John Lever said:

John, do Mccoy ship the HLB to the UK or is it only a high price Japanese model ?

adam
Adam,
The best thing to do is to phone Paddy to ask what is available. I think the HLB is from the 06/07 catalogue. You may need to carefully consider fit as RM sheepskins tend to run small. I take a 46 in RM but 44 in ELC/Aero.
Also the jackets you mention will almost certainly be sold under The Few label, and will be a substantial investment. Imports from NZ are very heavily taxed so beware. My B-2 cost £1200 plus £250 duty...
If like me you feel that ELC and Aero redskins have a certain plastic look, I can understand your leanings towards The Few. But having sample to compare, there really is not as much difference as the cost increase justifies. Better to ask Aero to do a 'special' for you or to source some skins yourself. Will at Aero can obtain skins in any colour and finish apparently.
The other option is to buy a well used ELC RW B-3 like mine, though it will never look as good as you original.
IMGP1961.jpg

IMGP1935.jpg

IMGP1933.jpg

Just found these photos of an Eastman vs. an Few HLB. Notice the variation in fleece colour.
EastmanRedskinB3.jpg

thefewantiqueb3.jpg

IMG_6501.jpg

For the most accurate info. it's probably better to ask Bevan [Britolherc] or Dave [deeb]

m444uk

John, I can't say I care for that redskin Few jacket with the white wool. The original redskins were all veg tanned and had biscuit coloured leather and darker wool. Chrome tanned sheepskin leather is white and hence the wool can be later dyed any colour or left natural. Putting on a reddish brown topcoat doesn't make it proper redskin !
From what I've seen Aero also get this wrong.

adam

Hawkeye

Judging by the photos, it looks as if the Few uses the same redskin treated sheepskin for their Irvins as well...

John Lever

m444uk said:
John, I can't say I care for that redskin Few jacket with the white wool. The original redskins were all veg tanned and had biscuit coloured leather and darker wool. Chrome tanned sheepskin leather is white and hence the wool can be later dyed any colour or left natural. Putting on a reddish brown topcoat doesn't make it proper redskin !
From what I've seen Aero also get this wrong.

adam
The Few use UK sheepskin on some of their jackets so there is no reason why veg. tanned aniline finished skins can't be sourced by Aero and ELC.