• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B/W photos in Italy

dujardin

1stFG94thFSitaly.jpg

51sttroopcarrieritaly.jpg

99thFSitaly.jpg

two jacket for a pilot
Page1.jpg

coloredbombs.jpg

P-80 take a look on the date
P-801.jpg

P-80.jpg

byeeeeeeeeee marcel

dujardin

from Wikipedia concerning the P-80

[edit] Operational history

Operational P-80Bs at Langley AFB.The Shooting Star began to enter service in late 1944 with 12 pre-production YP-80A's one of which was destroyed in the accident that killed Burcham. A thirteenth YP-80A was modified to the only F-14 photo reconnaissance model and lost in a December crash), Four were sent to Europe for operational testing (two to England and two to the 1st Fighter Group at Lesina, Italy) but when test pilot Major Frederic Borsodi was killed in a crash caused by an engine fire on 28 January 1945, demonstrating YP-80A 44-83026 at RAF Burtonwood, the YP-80A was temporarily grounded. Because of the delay the Shooting Star saw no combat in World War II.

The initial production order was for 344 P-80As after USAAF acceptance in February 1945. Eighty-three (83) had been delivered by the end of July 1945 and 45 assigned to the 412th Fighter Group (later redesignated the 1st Fighter Group) at Muroc Army Air Field. After the war, production continued, although wartime plans for 5,000 were quickly reduced to 2,000 at a little under $100,000 a copy. A total of 1,714 single-seat F-80A, F-80B, F-80C and RF-80s were manufactured by the end of production in 1950, of which 927 were F-80Cs (including 129 operational F-80As upgraded to F-80C-11-LO standards). However, the two-seat TF-80C, first flown on 22 March 1948, became the basis for the T-33 trainer, of which 6,557 were produced.

byeeeeeeeee marcel

Swing

dujardin said:
two jacket for a pilot
Page1.jpg

Used this picture in another thread about tankers, and noticed this guy has an A-2 on under his tanker (and didn't notice your "two jacket for a pilot" comment) . I wonder what fighter he flew? P-38?

~Swing

dujardin

Swing said:
dujardin said:
two jacket for a pilot
Page1.jpg

Used this picture in another thread about tankers, and noticed this guy has an A-2 on under his tanker (and didn't notice your "two jacket for a pilot" comment) . I wonder what fighter he flew? P-38?

~Swing

I look again at this photo and more than the fact he wear two jackets (an A2 and a tanker) , this guy wear also a tanker pants (overall) and also a knife from Royal Navy. i really enjoy this mixity.
byeeeeeeee marcel

Andrew

Swing said:
I wonder what fighter he flew? P-38?

~Swing

Most likely a Spitfire judging from his kit- RAF Type C helmet, RT's loom and plug, Type G O2 mask hose and croc clip for RAF A/C. There were many successful AAF FS in Italy using them at that time- 307th, 308th...

Great bunch of shots again Marcel...

Django

Cool pics! Love the bomb shot. The P-80... wouldn't it have been a sight to see if it had seen combat and not just some operational milk runs.