• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

b-6?

tgd31968

I am planning to get a b-6 for next winter. I like the style, look and price of the Aero. I searched this forum for info on the b-6 and came up dry. Anyone have the good the bad and the ugly on b-6's?

I like b-3's too, but seem just way to heavy for my needs. B-6 seems perfect for most winter activities.

Terry

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tgd31968 said:
.. Anyone have the good the bad and the ugly on b-6's?

RMNZ would be one of the"good".

ph02.jpg

And Eastman, another good choice, if the arms are long enough.

Mark P

I've an Eastman B6 Roughwear copy in the red finish, and have worn it every winter for the last 3 or 4 years. A hugely under-rated jacket in my view. I chose it above a B3 or Irvin because the weather in southern England is generally just too warm for the thicker pile of the colder weather jackets. I believe the leather in a B6 is the same as a B3, but the pile is cut shorter. It's kept me warm on winter trips to places like Berlin and Prague, so has proved versatile too. Other advantages for me are that it has pockets and the bi-swing back. The reddish colour is lovely too, with the added benefit that the wool is a darker tone than the cream colour of the B3, and more to my taste.

Get one soon!

hacker

Vcruiser said:
Terry
Here's a pic of my Aero B-6.
Just the right heft for me during Indiana winters.
Van

100_0744.jpg

20 cents for a hot dog?..........yikes...when was that taken? :lol: ....... :p

Y ;) ungpup

Tim P

I am a big fan of mcCoys shearling and I agree that the warmth of the B3 is a little much although I have been glad of it a few times. I would trade it for a b6 without too much bother. The B6 is more practical.

Vcruiser

hacker said:

Y ;) ungpup

Heh?..what say? I can't even see the price...you whippersnapper!
Rootbeer float is $2.21...tho...that seems about right.... :geek:

GrandDad

tgd31968

Vcruiser said:
hacker said:

Y ;) ungpup

GrandDad

Thanks for the pics. That gives me a better idea of how big a guy you are. I am 5'7" tall and 181 lbs. My chest is currently 43 5/8" my waist is 43 1/2" and I comfortably wear size 38 dockers. Go figure. So I am assuming I would get a 42 or 44. I figure A 42 would fit well without being too sloppy looking. I saw an Areo 44 posted recently that measured 26" armpit to armpit. Even with all that wool that seems pretty big.

When I was heavier, I could go out in 10 F weather with a light jacket. Now, I have lost 221 lbs, and I freeze all the time. That is a great looking jacket, and if I can snag a wife that attractive wearing it, it will be money well spent!

I really like the B-3 style, even though it is less convienent to wear. (too many war movies growing up.) I am leaning heavily toward having Areo make me a b-3 with b-6 skins. Besides, I have an origianl B-3 that was my grandfathers, and 1/2 thick sheep would match it more closely. I know it has crushed down over 70 years, but I can't imagine it was ever 1" thick, even new.

Terry

Terry

Vcruiser

tgd31968 said:
Vcruiser said:
hacker said:

Y ;) ungpup

GrandDad

Thanks for the pics. That gives me a better idea of how big a guy you are. I am 5'7" tall and 181 lbs. My chest is currently 43 5/8" my waist is 43 1/2" and I comfortably wear size 38 dockers. Go figure. So I am assuming I would get a 42 or 44. I figure A 42 would fit well without being too sloppy looking. I saw an Areo 44 posted recently that measured 26" armpit to armpit. Even with all that wool that seems pretty big.

When I was heavier, I could go out in 10 F weather with a light jacket. Now, I have lost 221 lbs, and I freeze all the time. That is a great looking jacket, and if I can snag a wife that attractive wearing it, it will be money well spent!

I really like the B-3 style, even though it is less convienent to wear. (too many war movies growing up.) I am leaning heavily toward having Areo make me a b-3 with b-6 skins. Besides, I have an origianl B-3 that was my grandfathers, and 1/2 thick sheep would match it more closely. I know it has crushed down over 70 years, but I can't imagine it was ever 1" thick, even new.

Terry

Terry

Hi Terry
If you decide to get an Aero....just get with Amanda or Will in Scotland....or Mark Moye in the states. RMNZ...it's Paddy...ELC...Charles..or Gary..I guess. With your measurements...any of them should get you in a good fit. With Aero....I wear the same size that I'd buy off the rack most anywhere. For me their shearling and A2s are regular sized.
If you're wanting something to suit your needs...with the look...and comfort...I see nothing wrong with a lighter weight shearling on a B-3. In fact it may be ideal for you.
Ha...that girl has put up with me for almost 30 yrs. She is a surviver...and stubborn as a mule....
Thanks
Van

FLATHEAD

If you want a lighter weight B-3, check out the one from What Price Glory. Jerry sells one
that has been reviewed here on this site by several people, and there are pictures of it also.

It is made with shearling that is not as thick as a normal B-3, and there is no acrylic outer
finish on it like a normal B-3, which makes it alot easier to wear. You can bend your arms
easier, and just move around easier in it versus a regular B-3.

I do believe the current price for one is $350.00 US dollars.

This might be a good choice for you.

Jim

anj4de

Hi

I have a B-6 from Aero and I am happy with it. Size wise I have a 48 but I have a size 44 ELC A-2 and a 44 G&B M422...so the Aeros run a bit small.

cheers
Uwe

tgd31968

Thanks to everyone for the information.

I ordered a b-3 with b-6 weight skins from Aero last week. Should be here mid/end of September.

I ordered redskin. I wanted a more practical weight for everyday winter wear. Virtually EVERYONE who responded to me about skin weight agreed that the normal B-3 skin is too warm for normal wear, and I am not in an open aircraft at 30,000 feet very often, but I am in 15-20 F weather most of the time.

Also, I have an original redskin B-3 that my grandfather brought home, and it is around 3/8 to 1/2" thick so I expect the one I ordered to match it pretty closely.

Terry